All Meeting Minutes
2001.05.09 - Excom
Wednesday May 09, 2001
EX COMM MEETING MINUTES
MAY 9, 2001
Attending: Bob Hood, Marceline Therrien, Brian Herlihy, Chris Havel, Jolanda deBoer, Joe Matera, Isabella LaRocca.
Review of Minutes from last meeting: Approved without corrections.
- Commodore Bob reports that The Cal Sailing Club gave 165 free sailboat rides during the Berkeley Bay Festival held on April 28. The club thanks the many volunteers who made this possible (in no particular order): Robert Ofsevit, Jolanda de Boer, Ben Pink, Sypko Andreae, Allan Champion, Dave Reichmuth, Bernard Bouis, Marie Lim, Jerry Huff, Karen Huff, Rebecca Haussmann, John Mankey, David Cary, Scott McLean, Peter Kuhn, Laura Speare, Tara Ellman, David Frazier, Peter Baczek, Kesinee Yip, Mika Kitagawa, JohnDanielson, and Seth Clark..
- Vice Commodore Marceline reports that The Berkeley YMCA has asked us to take out 24 6th-8th graders participating in its aquatic activities summer day camp on July 11. We need four-five senior skippers to volunteer to take these kids out. They are flexible on the time - Marceline suggests 11:00 am-2:00 pm. We need to give them an answer next week. CSC and the Berkeley Yacht Club are co-sponsoring a lecture titled "Keelboat Racing Basics for New Crew" which will be given at the Berkeley Yacht Club at 7:30 pm on Tuesday May 15. This is a great opportunity to learn about participating in the Friday Night Races.
- Second Vice Commodore Brian reports that we need windsurfers for Saturday morning lessons. There will be a workday on May 19. Last weekend’s gybe clinic and swap meet were very successful.
- Third Vice Commodore Chris reports that he is looking for someone to coordinate the overhaul of Nenya (the donated Ensign) as a senior project. Thanks to Sypko and Seth for doing electrical work on the boats.
- Treasurer Joe reports that the club’s books will be brought up-to-date by the next ex-comm meeting. The treasurer is working to get our tax situation straightened out. We are caught up on paying our bills. There is $7,892.94 in the checking account, $44,461.87 in the money market account and $35,000 in the dinghy replacement account.
- Rear Commodore Jolanda reports that there will be a teaching seminar from 11:00-12:00 on Saturday May 12, and a women’s sailing class on Sunday May 13. Teachers are encouraged to show up to teach early (9:00 am) on Saturdays. Fast track planned for 5/28-5/31. There is still room for some students.Teachers for 1 or more nights needed. Contact Alex at: firstname.lastname@example.org. Malu Lujan is organizing a new lecture series.
- A motion was made to reinstate our US Sailing membership. The motion passed with 4 in favor, 1 opposed, and 1 abstention.
- A motion was to approve Chris for up $400 made to 2 fixed marine radios. The motion passed unanimously.
- There was a discussion about changing the requirements for windsurfing ratings. The discussion will continue at the next Ex Comm meeting.
- A motion was made to approve Vincent Fallourd for $500 for materials for his senior project to redesign and rebuild the J+ windsurfing locker. The motion passed unanimously.
- A motion was made to transfer $25,000 to the dinghy replacement fund. The motion failed with 3 in favor and 4 opposed.
- A motion was made to authorize Saul to continue negotiations with Atlantix boat builders. The motion passed unanimously.
- A motion was made to approve Peter for $6,200 to buy a Precision 15. The motion passed with 5 in favor, 1 opposed, and 1 abstention.
- A motion was made to approve Brian for up to $500 to repair windsurfing sails. The motion passed unanimously.
- A motion was made to have the bottoms of the 5 keelboats in the marina cleaned on a quarterly basis at a cost of about $150. The motion passed unanimously.
The meeting was adjourned until the next meeting on Thursday, May 23 at 7pm at the clubhouse.