Thursday July 01, 1999
CAL SAILING CLUB
Ex Comm Minutes
July 1, 1999
The following is the amended 7/1 Ex Comm minutes per James Wei’s request for clarification about the motion that the checkout procedures for the lasers AND BYTES be mandatory as it is for special junior dinghies (JY15, 470 AND RHODES). The amended minutes will be posted in the clubhouse this week.
Joe Matera, Alex Athanapoulis, Bob Hood, Bryan Herlihy, John Frazier, Isabella La Rocca, Marceline Therrien.
- A motion was made to allow Brian White and Paul Bajada, both aged 14, to join the club and be eligible for up to a Junior rating. The motion passed unanimously.
- A motion was made for Mark Steigleder to buy 2 kayak paddles up to $200. The motion passed with five in favor and 2 abstentions.
- A motion was made to approve James Wei’s senior project to build a wooden storage rack for the lasers and bytes in cooperation with the new yard plan. James will return with specific plans. The motion passed unanimously.
- John Myall brought up the issue of the fence for the expanded yard.
Issues that must be resolved are where we will put a gate, whether and how we will use the existing fence, whether we will fence the western boundary, and whether and where we will pave. John will return with further information, with Alan Champion’s input.
- A motion was made for James Wei to buy parts for lasers and bytes up to $300. The vote passed unanimously.
- A motion was made for Peter Kuehn to buy a new Yamaha 4 stroke motor for the rescue skiff per the attached e-mail up to $4000. Joe Matera has a copy of Peter’s letter to Yamaha. The vote passed with six in favor and one abstention. Dean will investigate the possibility of including the motor trim and tilt which may allow the skiff to be used at low tide.
- A motion was made to approve John Frazier’s proposal for a senior project to install and break in the new motor. He will write a booklet on the maintenance of the motor. The vote passed unanimously.
- James Wei was appointed the Laser/byte Chair. His duties would be to assist and advise Alex in their maintenance, and to coordinate lessons once a week. James will have the ability to take the lasers out of commission for maintenance at reasonable times. He will also be approved for purchases up to $100.
- A motion was made to approve Dean to declare a workday on Sunday.
The vote passed with six in favor and one abstention.
- A motion was made that the checkout procedures for the lasers and bytes be mandatory as it is for special junior dinghies (JY15, 470 and Rhodes). The vote passed with six in favor and one abstention.
- A motion was made that James be permitted to check out people on the lasers and bytes. The vote passes with 6 in favor and one abstention.
- A motion was made to approve Ivan to borrow a class legal laser sail from July 7 until July 14. He will return it in the same condition and complete his work hours before borrowing the sail. The vote passed with 6 in favor and one abstention.
- A motion was made to rescind permission for John Frazier to take the lasers to the Delta as outlined at the last Ex Comm meeting because a byte was taken instead of a laser without proper permission. The vote passed with 4 in favor and 3 opposed.
- A motion was made to allow John to take one laser to the Delta this weekend. The vote passed with 6 in favor and one opposed.
- A motion was made for Martin Jonikas, aged 17, to be eligible to become a senior windsurfer. The vote passed unanimously.
- A motion was made that any Ex Comm member can call a workday. The vote passed with 5 in favor and 2 abstentions.
- Ex-Commodore’s report by Rebecca: she has changed the fee for Sunday’s BBQ and will post a sign. She is collecting donations for Bigfoot. An anonymous member made a donation of $200.
- First Vice-Commodore Alex reports on the workday 2 weekdays: It was successful, though there was a shortage of supervisors. Two lidos are still out of commission. Titanic is right side up.
- Second Vice-Commodore Brian did an inventory of the sails: We have 50 novice sails and 55 junior plus sails including the new sails. 20 sails were thrown out, and many Junior plus sails were converted to novice sails. A workday was called to number the sails. He will post the inventory breakdown in the windsurfing locker. A motion was made for Brian to buy a Maxus board and 5 booms with harness lines up to $1500. The vote passed unanimously.
- Third Vice Commodore John reports that he spent $175 on a new tiller for Huey, a tiller extension for the JY and misc. Talked with Steve Seal about replacing the rigging for Daisy, which will probably cost about $800.
- Rear Commodore Bob reports that lessons are continuing. Bob has retired from the position and Joe has appointed Dean Atkinson interim Rear Commodore.
- Secretary Isabella reports that she is having Racing Manuals and Windsurfing Books printed. Operating Rules will be updated for the next printing.
- Treasurer Marceline reports that we have $73,368, which is slightly lower than expected.
The meeting was adjourned.