All Meeting Minutes
1999.10.28 - Excom
Thursday October 28, 1999
Thursday October 28, 1999
EX COMM MEETING MINUTES
October 28, 1999
Joe Matera, Megan Buckley, Scott McLean, Brian Herlihy, John Frazier, Dean Atkinson, Isabella La Rocca.
- A motion was made to allow Erica Petrofsky, 12 years old, to join the club. The vote passed with 6 in favor and 1 abstention.
- A motion was made to reword the proposal for the trip to Baja to clarify the Club’s involvement in the trip. The changes to the new proposal are that the trip will not be "club-sponsored" and that members using club gear will be required to sign a statement that they are sailing at their own risk and that the club is not liable for any incidences or injuries that may occur. The proposal will be posted with the minutes and on the Baja forum on Egroups. The vote passed with 5 in favor, one opposed and one abstention.
- A motion was made to form a committee, chaired by Saul Schumsky, to explore the possibility of building a club teaching dinghy of about 14 feet. The vote passed unanimously.
- A motion was made to form a committee, chaired by Rebecca, to explore the possibility of buying and testing dinghies to replace the Lidos. The vote passed unanimously.
- There will be a General Membership election meeting on Tuesday, November 23, 1999 at 7 pm at the Berkeley Yacht Club. The motion to raise the dues (to $50/quarter, $175/year, $45/quarter, $150/year for students) will be discussed and voted on. There will also be a discussion about replacing the teaching dinghy fleet. Please submit agenda items and nominations.
- A motion was made to approve Brian for $3,000 ($331 over the budget to be recouped by selling old, unused boards) to purchase 15 Bic boards in excellent condition, including fins and footstraps. The vote passed unanimously.
- A motion was made to approve John for $3,250 ($250 over the budget to be recouped from the advertising budget surplus) to purchase keel boat sails. The vote passed with 6 in favor and one abstention.
- Commodore Joe congratulates Scott and the volunteers for getting all the Lidos in the water. Joe requests a member who is an attorney to investigate an exemption from property tax. The next Ex Comm meeting will be held on Tuesday, November 9 at 7pm at the Berkeley Yacht Club.
- Vice-commodore Megan reports that Open House is on November 6th & 7th. She wants to thank skippers for teaching on Mondays and Thursdays and requests that they come for the Open House.
- First Vice-commodore Scott requests that if you break it, fix it, otherwise he has to fix it.
- Third Vice-commodore John reports that the booms on the Ensigns are corroded and will fail soon. He removed the flotation tank from Dewey and discovered rot, termites, and stagnant water. John needs help making repairs and requests members to undertake repairs as their senior projects.
- Rear commodore Dean encourages members to crew on Sundays mornings.
The meeting was adjourned.