All Meeting Minutes

1997.01.16 - Excom

EXCOM MEETING
Thursday January 16, 1997

January 16, 1997

Minutes of the Cal Sailing Club

The regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Clubhouse on Thursday, January 16, 1997. Commodore Rebecca Haussmann presided.

The meeting was called to order at 7:20 PM. In attendance were Rebecca Haussmann, Narcisse, Martin Scanlan, Abizar Lakdawalla, Bill Gavelis and Bill Csajko. Also in attendance was member Todd Price.

As of January 2, 1997, the Club has about $20,000 in the checking and money market accounts.

REPORTS

Commodore (Rebecca Haussmann)

Yard Project:

The yard project headed up by Dan Acland is going really well. So far the yard has been cleaned up, with a lot of garbage thrown out, and the old aluminum extrusions stored on the east fence were stripped of useful parts, and most of the remainder sold for scrap. A forklift will be rented next Monday to move the containers to the proposed locations. A work party will be held this weekend to finish the preparation.

Astroturf:

Lucy, the dayleader, has offered to look into getting some astroturf donated to the club to replace old carpeting outside.

General Membership Meeting:

The next General Membership Meeting will be held on Thursday, February 6. Cards will be printed up to advise the membership. The next regular Executive Committee meeting will be held in two weeks as usual, however, since the General Membership Meeting will be one week after that, the next regular Executive Committee meeting after that will be held two weeks after the General Membership Meeting.

Membership Drive:

Rebecca talked to Alex Case about having a membership drive later this year.

Vice Commodore (Narcisse)

Floating Bottle:

The Floating Bottle will be published within the next two weeks.

Jack London Boat Show:

The next boat show is in April, however, it has still not been confirmed whether we will participate in this event.

Fund Raisers:

Narcisse has been thinking about ideas for fund-raising events for the club.

Wedding:

Narcisse noted that Brian Battuello and Francis Ross have their wedding this weekend.

Barnes and Noble:

Narcisse has arranged for club members to get a discount at Barnes and Noble bookstores. She will get details on it soon.

Treasure Island:

Several members sailed to Treasure Island recently, and, unlike when the Navy owned it, they were welcomed at the yacht club there, and were told CSC boats are welcome to cruise there.

Treasurer (Bill Gavelis)

Tax Returns:

Bill sent in the Federal and State tax returns, but they were late.

Registrations:

All the 1997 boat and trailer registrations are taken care of now.

University Insurance:

The university is asking for a copy of our insurance regarding the dayleaders.

Windsurf Lockers:

As of two weeks ago, two-thirds of the windsurf locker rental fees were in.

Cal 20:

The donated Cal 20 has finally been paid for.

Club Funds:

Even though we have about $20,000 in the bank, about half that amount is required to pay our insurance bill.

New Year=s Day Cruise:

Bill sailed to Sam=s in Tiburon on New Year=s Day with Todd Price and Dan Twelker, encountering strong winds along the way, unreefing upon hitting the wind shadow on the leeward side of Angel Island, then encountering even stronger winds in Raccoon Straits, requiring a quick double reefing maneuver.

First Vice Commodore (Martin Scanlan)

Trailer Paint:

Martin purchased paint for painting the rusted areas on the Lido trailers.

Lido Centerboards:

Martin prepared a diagram of the proposed modifications to the Lido centerboard cases, which was developed at a meeting just before Christmas. The proposal will be distributed to the membership for comments.

JY-15 Modifications:

Martin has been in contact with the JY manufacturer regarding modifications to the rigging.

Rhodes 19 Training:

A group of Juniors seeking their Senior ratings will go out this weekend to get checked out on the Rhodes 19. 

Second Vice Commodore (Bill Moseley)

No report was provided.

Third Vice Commodore (Abizar Lakdawalla)

Old Equipment Sales:

Abizar sold the old Rhodes 19 trailer for $62.50, and sold one of the old battery chargers.

Ensign Winches:

Wilder Lee has installed new winches on one more of the Ensigns. Abizar noted that we may be able to use some of the old Ensign winches to replace the worn winches on the blue Rhodes 19.

Senior Projects:

Some Senior projects that members are either working on or could work on are sealing the hull-to-deck joint on ADaisy,@ oiling the exterior wood on the Commanders, and updating the club=s home page.

Topping Lift:

The boom topping lift slipped out of the block at the top of the mast during the New Year=s Day cruise.

Fire Extinguisher:

The fire extinguisher on AUncle Donald@ is missing. 

Rear Commodore (Peter Baczek)

No report was provided.

Secretary (Bill Csajko)

Bill had nothing to report.

AGENDA ITEMS

Lecture Series:

Todd Price will discuss with Peter Baczek setting up a lecture series later this year.

Kayaks:

Rebecca noted that, although she has been unable to get e-mail for a couple of weeks, she has been advised of all the discussions on the club=s listserver regarding the kayaks. There has been a mixture of opinions on the club=s purchase of the two kayaks, both negative and positive. The Executive Committee discussed this subject at length. Some of the concerns noted by those opposed to the purchase are the lack of use, restrictions on use, cost, and departure from sailing as a club purpose. Rebecca noted that the kayaks have been getting use, probably more than the Rhodes 19's, 470 and other dinghies at this time of year. Concerns about restrictions on use include the requirement for a working rescue skiff and the upper wind limit. Proposals to address these concerns included allowing use of the kayaks during low tide with the skiff in the water, even if it is inoperable, and giving the dayleaders more discretion in allowing use of kayaks in stronger winds. An effort will be made to both making make members aware of the kayaks, and make the kayaks more readily available by placing them by the dock on low wind days.

Rats:

Bill Csajko noted that rats have been getting into the life jacket locker, and caused a significant number of life jackets to be thrown out because they had eaten the flotation material. The life jackets will be hung up either in the locker or in the clubhouse until they are moved to the Novice Windsurfer Locker when the yard is rearranged.

Floating Bottle Copying:

Narcisse discussed ways to decrease the cost of preparing the Floating Bottle by using her mother=s copying machine.

Exterior Lights:

Tim Brandon had proposed to spend about $120 to install two more exterior lights. It was unclear where they were proposed to be placed since he wasn=t there, and the topic was tabled until we had more information.

Congratulations:

Rebecca congratulated Todd Price for the great job he has done in setting up Senior keelboat lessons on the weekends. She also congratulated Dan Acland for recently winning the Chowder race with one of the club=s Ensigns.

Women=s Sailing Seminar:

Rebecca was contacted by people setting up the Northern California Women=s Sailing Seminar. They are looking for sailing clubs to volunteer to each have one sailboat provide lessons by women to women on March 22 in Alameda. Rebecca will look into having our club help out.

The meeting ended at 9:30 PM. The next regular Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, January 30, 1997.