All Meeting Minutes

1997.04.03 - Excom

Thursday April 03, 1997

April 3, 1997

Minutes of the Cal Sailing Club

The regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Clubhouse on Thursday, April 3, 1997. Commodore Rebecca Haussmann presided.

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM. In attendance were Rebecca Haussmann, Narcisse, Martin Scanlan, Bill Moseley, Peter Baczek, Bill Gavelis, Liam Carey and Bill Csajko. Also in attendance was member Todd Price.

As of April 3, 1997, the club has $12,633.00 in the checking account.


Commodore (Rebecca Haussmann)

Women's Sailing Seminar:

Elizabeth Simon and Rebecca provided six lessons on the two Commanders at the Northern California Women's Sailing Seminar at Jack London Square on March 22.

Pacific Sail Expo:

There will be a competition sponsored by the manufacturer of 5200 Marine Adhesive at the Pacific Sail Expo at Jack London Square on the weekend of the 26th of April, wherein teams will be provided three sheets of plywood, a jigsaw, and some 5200 adhesive. The teams will have a set period of time to construct sailing crafts, which will then be raced against each other. Rebecca will look into fielding one or more teams from the club.

Open House:

There will be an Open House this weekend, however there will be extreme low tides in the afternoons that will preclude Juniors from sailing, so we need Senior Skippers and Cruising Skippers to provide rides. We will have chips and soda available on Saturday, with the barbecue on Sunday. 

Racing Chair:

With Bill Gavelis's recommendation, Rebecca appointed Dan Acland to the position of Racing Committee Chair, to replace Bill Gavelis.

Membership Chair:

Rebecca appointed Scherazade Sohrabji as the new Membership Committee Chair, to replace herself.

General Membership Meeting:

The next General Membership Meeting will be held on Thursday, May 15. Election of officers will be held at the meeting, and several of the current officers will not be running for reelection.

Yard and Club Rearrangement:

The yard rearrangement project is still progressing, and we are starting to get used astroturf to replace the old carpets. Dan Acland plans to start reconstructing the interior of the clubhouse on April 26, after getting Executive Committee approval on the plan.

Rigging Tests:

Rebecca wants to expand the number of people able to give Junior Skipper rigging tests, by designating several qualified Junior Skippers to give the tests. Recommendations on qualified Junior Skippers will be given to Peter.

Hoist Repair:

The marina is charging the club $1,200 for the latest repair of the west hoist. Our lease states that the club is liable for up to $1,200 each year for repair of the hoist.

Treasurer (Bill Gavelis)


Bill noted that we are getting a lot of new memberships now.

Windsurfing Locker Rentals:

There is only one empty rental windsurfing locker now.

Vice Commodore (Narcisse)

Pacific Sail Expo:

Several changes in procedures for the Pacific Sail Expo are making our participation less advantageous. Bay Area Disabled Sailors will be running the booth for the free rides, and people pay would pay a "suggested" $2.00 fee for each ride, including ours, with the proceeds going to BADS. The insurance the Expo would provide for us is also unclear and may not provide us adequate protection. The Executive Committee decided that with all the changing conditions and the small advantage to the club in participating, that we will not participate this year in giving rides.

Berkeley Bay Festival:

The Cal Sailing Club will be the only organization providing sailboat rides at the Berkeley Bay Festival onApril 12, since Cal Adventures backed out. We will use Lidos and/or Rhodes 19's skippered by Junior Skippers in addition to the keelboats to help give more rides. Narcisse will look into getting more berthing area for us to give rides from.

Floating Bottle:

The Floating Bottle will be printed this week.

First Vice Commodore (Martin Scanlan)

Dinghy Outlines:

Outlines for parking the dinghies in the yard have been painted on the new asphalt sealant.

Boat Adoptions:

The boat adoption program is continuing to gain new adoptive parents.

Lido Masthead Blocks:

The masthead blocks on the Lidos for the main halyards have been siezing, and a couple of them have been repaired.

Lido Tillers:

Two Lido tillers were broken at the hiking stick universal joint. Martin is investigating methods to repair these tillers. One tiller is apparently lost, and will require a replacement.

470 Repairs:

Repairs and improvements to the 470 are continuing to be accomplished by the dinghy's adoptive parent.

Lido Goosenecks:

The goosenecks on the Lidos are starting to fail, and are apparently designed too weak. Martin replaced one of the goosenecks with one left over from the old Lido fleet that is substantially stronger. Martin spoke with several marine welders to see about beefing up the existing goosenecks, and estimates strengthening these goosenecks will cost close to $40 each. Bill Gavelis moved to spend up to $300 to reinforce the seven goosenecks. Narcisse seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

Metal Boxes:

While at Orchard Supply Hardware, Martin noticed some metal boxes used for display that were to be thrown away soon, and would work very well for storing parts in the tool shed. The store told Martin he could have them for free when they were done with them.

Second Vice Commodore (Bill Moseley)

New Novice Boards:

The new Novice Windsurfer boards are very popular and seem to work very well.

Novice Masts:

The old Novice Windsurfer masts are starting to delaminate, and will need replacement soon. There are 10-12 masts and they cost about $100 each.

Novice Booms:

The Novice Windsurfer booms are also in bad shape, and need replacement. New Chinook booms like we have now cost about $150 each, but we can purchase new ones with minor blemishes for $75 each. Bill M. moved to spend up to $650 for five Chinook booms (the ones with blemishes), two masts, and five mast extension collars. Bill Csajko seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

Third Vice Commodore (Abizar Lakdawalla)

No report was provided.

Port Captain (Liam Carey)


Dayleaders are scheduled for almost every day in April now. Liam hired two new dayleaders, Vanessa and Chi, and has taught four volunteer dayleaders.

First Aid Training:

Rebecca will try to schedule first aid training for the dayleaders on Saturday, April 19. Having the dayleaders take first aid/CPR will greatly help the club in terms of safety, and so it was felt that it was in the best interest of the club to pay for dayleader first aid training, which costs $40 per person. It was also felt that first aid training for members of the Executive Committee would help the club, and the club could therefore contribute half the cost of first aid training for Executive Committee members. Liam moved to pay up to $440 for full payment for dayleader first aid training and half payment for some Executive Committee member first aid training. Peter seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

Rear Commodore (Peter Baczek)

Accelerated Dinghy Training:

Roland is organizing the accelerated dinghy training session.

Lido Rigging Guidelines:

Peter prepared handouts that describe the procedures for rigging Lidos and for providing Lido rigging tests.

Lido Sails:

The battens on the Lido mainsails continue to break, but the replacement battens are holding out.

Laser/Byte Class:

Peter will schedule a class on sailing Lasers and Bytes.


Peter will possibly schedule a lecture by Tom Wiley in combination with the Berkeley Yacht Club. A Lido capsize demonstration/lesson will be held on Sunday, April 27.

Secretary (Bill Csajko)

Web Site:

Sean Page has been working on revising the structure of the entire club web site.


Senior Skipper Lesson Work Credit:

Todd Price noted that he was having some problems getting enough Senior or Cruising Skippers to provide Senior Skipper lessons on the weekends, and asked if those giving these lessons could obtain lesson credits as an incentive. The Operating Rules state that lesson credits may be obtained during regularly scheduled lesson periods, and the Executive Committee determined that the weekend Senior Skipper lessons organized by Todd are considered regularly scheduled lessons, and that therefore lesson credits may be obtained, with one lesson credit for each hour of lessons.

Additional Berths:

Rebecca will talk to the Harbormaster about the possibility of obtaining berth rentals at a substantial discount if we obtained any donated keelboats for resale.


Narcisse moved that we spend up to $150 for food and supplies for this weekend's barbecue. Bill G. seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.


Bill C. noted that the next fiscal year for the club begins on May 1. Rebecca stated that the next Executive Committee meeting will be devoted almost exclusively to discussing and finalizing the next fiscal year budget.

The meeting ended at 9:50 PM. The next regular Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, April 17, 1997.