All Meeting Minutes

1997.04.17 - Excom

EXCOM MEETING
Thursday April 17, 1997


April 17, 1997

Minutes of the Cal Sailing Club


The regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Clubhouse on Thursday, April 17, 1997. Commodore Rebecca Haussmann presided.

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM. In attendance were Rebecca Haussmann, Martin Scanlan, Abizar Lakdawalla, Peter Baczek, Bill Gavelis, Liam Carey and Bill Csajko. Also in attendance were members Robert Ofsevit, Dan Acland and Ken Shepherd.

As of April 17, 1997, the club has approximately $14,000 in the checking account.

REPORTS

Commodore (Rebecca Haussmann)

Open House/Barbecue:

The barbecue and open house went very well. The cost for the barbecue cost more than expected, approximately $180. Narcisse was not at the meeting, so Rebecca will look into why the cost was so high, whether some of the costs will be spread over more barbecues (i.e., for condiments), and what amount we received in cash.

Berkeley Bay Festival:

Rebecca noted a couple of things she thought should be considered in future Bay Festival rides. First, that many more young children go on the sailboat rides, and second, that better coordination is needed for the rides. Robert Ofsevit noted that a number of children were attempting to ride the sailboats although they were under five years of age.

Vice Commodore (Narcisse)

No report was provided.

First Vice Commodore (Martin Scanlan)

Lido Goosenecks:

Martin will take the goosenecks from the Lidos to Svendsens next Tuesday to be beefed up, and have them returned on Wednesday. One Lido has a strengthened gooseneck already, so it will still be available for sailing.

Lido Masthead Blocks:

Martin is still working on fixing the Lido masthead blocks.

Lido Anchor Boards:

The anchor boards in the Lidos need to be attached to the anchor pocket, since they now fall out in a capsize. He will use marine grade silicone to affix them, since it would hold well and still allow future removal.

Second Vice Commodore (Bill Moseley)

No report was provided.

Third Vice Commodore (Abizar Lakdawalla)

Commander Maintenance:

The bottom of the hull was cleaned on "Daisy." The tillers on the Commanders are now repaired. The hull to deck joint repair on "Daisy" is almost done.

Ensign Maintenance:

The wood on the Ensigns will be varnished. New fairlead tracks were installed on "Dewey."

Rear Commodore (Peter Baczek)

Rigging Tests:

Edmund Gauvin, a Junior Skipper, will now be able to give Junior Skipper rigging tests.

Wednesday Night Lessons:

Peter is looking for another person willing to be a regular teacher for Wednesday night keelboat lessons.

Port Captain (Liam Carey)

Dayleaders:

The schedule for dayleaders is now full.

First Aid:

Rebecca will arrange for the first aid/CPR class on Sunday, May 4 for the dayleaders.

Secretary (Bill Csajko)

Web Site:

Bill C. added the latest and historical Sunday morning Lido racing data to the web site. He also added a page showing all the hours of non-operation due to low tide, and posted a hard copy alongside the tide table by the door of the clubhouse.

Treasurer (Bill Gavelis)

Treasurer Cards:

About 20 percent of the treasurer cards put in the safe have missing information, such as lack of a signature, no indication of amount paid, etc. Bill G. noted that four membership cards were missing in the last month. Although he attributes one or two to voided cards, he noted that if voided they should be noted as such and still be put in the safe, and not just thrown out.

Racing Chairperson (Dan Acland)

Dan noted that although the new racing rules are published, CSC will continue to use the old rules for the remainder of the current Sunday morning Lido racing series.

Clubhouse Reorganization

Dan Acland discussed the proposed reorganization of the clubhouse interior. Chris Apicella had prepared 3D graphics illustrating the proposed changes, and pictures of the proposal from various perspectives were placed on the north wall of the clubhouse for members to review and comment. The main features include a counter to define the dayleader area in the southwest corner of the room, a new bench and shelves along the east wall, and moving the refrigerator and microwave oven to the northeast corner of the room, where the table will be. Potential other improvements were a window in the north wall, and a ceiling fan. Construction would be done the weekend after this one. After some discussion of the proposal, it was decided to eliminate permanent padding on the new bench, and delay consideration of the window and fan. Bill C. moved to spend up to $600.00 to construct the improvements. Bill G. seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

Budget

The remainder of the evening was spent discussing the proposed budget for our next fiscal year, which begins May 1. Bill G. had prepared a few handouts comparing our actual income and expenses compared to last year's budget, and a comparison of our income and expenses since 1991. Bill G.'s proposed budget was based to a large extent on the historical average. He included in the proposed budget $10,000 for rebuilding the clubhouse completely, which he did not seriously think would be approved, and it was not. Without the $10,000, the budget resulted in a $2,840 deficit. After reviewing all the line items and modifying a number of items, it resulted in a $4,100 deficit. Some of the increases were for a higher estimated cost for keelboat hull maintenance (from $4,400/year to $5,000/year), further renovation of the clubhouse ($1,500), and replacement Lido jibs ($1,000). Some areas discussed to potentially decrease costs were to find an alternative to the cruise answering service ($576/year) and the voicemail/yellow pages ad ($900/year). Alternatives to the location and cost for berthing "Daisy" ($1,614/year) will be investigated. The budget will be refined and voted on at the next Executive Committee meeting.

The meeting ended at 10:40 PM. The next regular Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, May 1, 1997.