All Meeting Minutes

1997.06.26 - Excom

EXCOM MEETING
Thursday June 26, 1997


Minutes of the Cal Sailing Club

for June 26, 1997

The regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Clubhouse on Thursday, June 26, 1997. Commodore Rebecca Haussmann presided.

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM. In attendance were Rebecca Haussmann, Laura Boytz, Abizar Lakdawalla, Dan Twelker and Bill Csajko. Also in attendance was member Paul Ken Shepherd.

No report on club finances was provided.

REPORTS

Commodore (Rebecca Haussmann)

Lease:

Rebecca has been discussing the lease with the marina manager and marina property manager. They want to increase our total monthly rent to about $500. We currently pay $240 per month for the clubhouse and yard, and about $135 for the slip for "Daisy." We are still looking to increase the area of our yard, and get another slip included with the increase.

Potential Donation:

A member, Barbara Schneider, has offered to donate an Islander 29 to the club. The value of the boat is approximately $12,000. Rebecca will look into the potential for either selling it right away, or holding on to it at minimum cost before selling.

Rating Committee:

Rebecca moved to add two members to the rating committee: Robert Ofsevit and Tim Brandon. Dan seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

Quack3:

The latest issue of "Wooden Boat" magazine has several pictures of Rebecca and Marceline during the boat-building contest at Jack London Square.

Vice Commodore (vacant)

No report was provided.

Port Captain (Dan Twelker)

Hypothermia:

On Saturday, June 14, the dayleader attempted to rescue two windsurfers who were on the rocks. Winds were strong. He anchored the skiff, backed it in, and tied the windsurfers to the tow line. The skiff was pulled out, and the anchors were raised, when several large waves turned the bow downwind. The dayleader threw out the anchors again, but they did not hold and the boat ended up on the rocks. The release mechanism for the 30 HP engine did not work, and the dayleader had to jump in the water and to get the engine raised up. Meanwhile, several members launched the 18 HP skiff and came out and rescued them all. The dayleader ended up with minor hypothermia, but recovered. The skiff suffered some damage to the hull, and the propeller was destroyed.

Subsequent to this event, Dan held a hypothermia class for the dayleaders this last Sunday evening. He will also hold a heavy weather rescue training session in July. Dan also placed signs on each of the sign-out clipboards advising members of the dangers of hypothermia.

First Vice Commodore (Laura Boytz for Martin Scanlan)

Temporary First Vice Commodore:

Laura is acting as First Vice Commodore while Martin is out of town until mid-August.

Lido Maintenance:

The centerboard on Lido #5 has a split developing on the leading edge. Rebecca talked to W. D. Schock, and they will try to get a replacement centerboard to us by this weekend. The centerboard lines on hull #2 are stuck and need to be freed.

Second Vice Commodore (Matthias Reinsch)

No report was provided.

Third Vice Commodore (Abizar Lakdawalla)

Ensign Winches:

We received one set of replacement winches for the Ensigns from Harkin. If these work out okay, we will get the other two sets replaced.

Rear Commodore (Rebecca for Peter Baczek)

470 Check-Out:

Ohad, who is the adoptive parent for the 470, asked Rebecca to review the check-out procedure for the 470, because he thinks members should have more practical sailing experience with the 470 before being signed off. Rebecca will ask Ohad to come to the next meeting to discuss it.

Treasurer (Marceline Therrien)

No report was provided.

Secretary (Bill Csajko)

Web Site:

Bill converted many of the documents available on the club's web site to portable document format, to allow people to print out the documents at home. He also has been working on editing the HTML on the existing web pages.

Printing:

New rating/work credit cards were printed and delivered this week. We should have a good supply of most documents at the club now.

Other Topics

Social Chair:

Rebecca nominated Chris Binger to be the new Social Committee chair. Bill seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

PHRF Ratings:

Ken Shepherd noted that the club's boats that race on Friday nights should have PHRF ratings, otherwise they could be disqualified. Apparently it costs about $25 per boat to get the official rating. Dan Acland, our Racing Committee chair, will be requested to follow through on getting the ratings.

The meeting ended at 8:30 PM. The next regular Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, July 10, 1997.