All Meeting Minutes

1997.07.24 - Excom

EXCOM MEETING
Thursday July 24, 1997


Minutes of the Cal Sailing Club

for July 24, 1997

The regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Clubhouse on Thursday, July 24, 1997. Commodore Rebecca Haussmann presided. The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM. In attendance were Rebecca Haussmann, Brandon Gates, Matthius Reinsch, Peter Baczek, Dan Twelker, Marceline Therrien and Bill Csajko. Also in attendance were Ken Shepherd, David Frasier and David Rabinowitz.

The club has $8,171.37 in the checking account and $20,000 in our new money market account.

Boat Donation: (Ken Shepherd)

Ken stated that the club has been offered a Santana 22 as a donation, including an 8 HP engine. The boat is fairly old, but is in good shape, and has an estimated value of $1,000 to $3,000. It is currently docked at AO@ dock. Ken suggested that the club could keep the boat for a short period of time to determine if this type of boat would be a good substitute for an Ensign, and allow skippers to sail and race it. It would cost $105 per month for slip fees, plus insurance. He also got a quote for new sails for the boat ($1,600 for a main and jib), although it is not known if the sails need to be replaced. The Executive Committee thought it was worthwhile to accept the boat for a donation, since we could probably sell it right away for a profit, and would consider at a later time whether the club wanted to keep it for a short time to sail. Rebecca moved to accept the boat as a donation. Bill seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

 

REPORTS

Commodore (Rebecca Haussmann)

Vice Commodore:

Rebecca nominated Brandon Gates for the position of Vice Commodore, the post having been vacant since no one ran for the office at the last General Membership meeting. Marceline seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

T-Shirt Chairperson:

Rebecca nominated Tim Brandon for the position of T-Shirt Chairperson, to replace Lauren Lesmeister. Dan seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

Navy ROTC:

The Navy ROTC from U.C. Berkeley contacted Rebecca again about using our keelboats for classes for their members. They apparently thought that they could purchase two memberships for their instructors, then take out their students in our keelboats as guests for their classes. Rebecca told them that we would not agree to this proposal.

Waterfront Commission Meeting:

Rebecca attended the Waterfront Commission meeting on Wednesday evening, and noted that the Nautilus Society, who own the boat APegasus,@ requested a free slip for their boat, and had to provide specific demographic information on the people they provided rides for. Rebecca will present the annual report for the club at the next Commission meeting, and will look into presenting the case for getting free slips for CSC.

SBRA Race and Midnight Moonlight Madness:

The Small Boat Racing Association race that CSC sponsored last weekend went very well. Rebecca noted that the success was due to the help of Bill Gavelis, Hester Burn-Callendar, Brandon Gates, and Dan Acland, who organized the event. The club had only one entry, our JY-15. Later that Saturday evening the club had the second Midnight Moonlight Madness party, even though the clouds hid the moon.

Phone Survey:

Virginia Nido, who has experience in setting up phone surveys, is preparing a survey and arranging for club members to make a phone survey of our club to better determine the demographics and interests of our members.

General Membership Meeting: The next General Membership Meeting will be held on Thursday, August 7. The Floating Bottle will be going out this weekend, and a label will be placed on the newsletter next to the address to inform members of the meeting.

 

Vice Commodore (Brandon Gates)

T-Shirts:

Brandon discussed with our new T-shirt chairperson Tim Brandon revising some of the T-shirt designs. Brandon wants to have some color graphics done on the backs of the shirts, which would increase the cost of the shirts by about $4.00. He has found a member who is a graphic designer to assist in the design. There are still a significant number of small and medium T-shirts the club has had for several years that do not sell, since everyone wants large or extra large shirts. He will consider ways to sell them at a discount or give away to children at Open Houses.

Floating Bottle:

The Floating Bottle will be mailed out this weekend. We will try to mail out the Floating Bottle quarterly, just before each General Membership Meeting, to also serve as a notice of the meetings and save postage. Brandon brought up whether we should consider using bulk rate postage, and it was noted that we have looked into that several times in the past, and there are too many restrictions associated with bulk rate postage that would not work with our club.

 

Port Captain (Dan Twelker)

Skiff:

The 30 HP skiff is working again, thanks to Peter Kuhn, Francis Smith, Ed Shirk and Tim Boschert.

Dayleaders:

Dan said that everything is going smoothly with the dayleaders. There was a discussion on the ability of dayleaders to notice members who get in trouble on the water, since a Novice Windsurfer drifted into the rocks out of sight of the dayleader that evening and was recovering from mild hypothermia during our meeting. Ideas on how members could identify their trouble were discussed, such as attaching whistles to life jackets, or making flares available at cost to members. It was also noted that the binoculars are not working well and need replacement.

Lessons:

The topic of how to get enough teachers during lesson periods was discussed. Some people thought that members with ratings in both sailing and windsurfing were avoiding teaching in Lidos by electing to windsurf. It was noted that the operating rules state that if people are waiting for lessons, you cannot sail or windsurf if you have a rating that would allow you to teach.

 

Treasurer (Marceline Therrien)

Kayaks:

Marceline noted that two people joined the club a couple of weeks ago with the intent of only using kayaks, and wanted their money back when they found out there were wind restrictions on the use of kayaks.

Promotion:

Marceline received a mailing from the National Marine Manufacturers Association that offered community sailing schools discounts with various manufacturers in exchange for providing them a list of names and addresses of Anew@ sailors. They also said these people would be entered into a contest. Marceline will check what kind of discounts they are offering, but the Executive Committee did not want to provide names of members unless the members volunteered to do so by signing up for it.

Income:

The club took in over $3,000 in memberships last week. Marceline will try to push for people to buy annual memberships to reduce the amount of paperwork.

 

First Vice Commodore (Laura Boytz for Martin Scanlan)

No report was provided.

 

Second Vice Commodore (Matthias Reinsch)

Equipment Purchases:

Matthias noted that we need to purchase new booms and mast extensions, and that he may want to revise his request last week for funds for new masts. Base on Matthias=s request, Dan moved to purchase five booms at a cost of $375.00 and seven mast extensions at a cost of $140.00. Bill seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

Sail Donations:

About eight or ten novice sails were donated to the club from various places.

 

Third Vice Commodore (Abizar Lakdawalla)

No report was provided.

 

Rear Commodore (Peter Baczek)

Keelboat Lessons:

Peter is having trouble getting teachers for the Wednesday night keelboat lessons.

Senior Skipper Tests:

Peter has concerns about Senior Skipper tests given by Senior or Cruising Skippers that have a close association with the candidate by having provided the candidate the majority of their training.

Accelerated Dinghy Training:

The second accelerated dinghy training class went well.

 

Secretary (Bill Csajko)

Printing:

Cal Copy is printing dinghy manuals and operating rules. The dayleaders will be advised to call Bill when supplies of documents begin to run low to avoid running out of the documents.

 

The meeting ended at 9:15 PM. The next General Membership Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, August 7, 1997. The next regular Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, August 21, 1997.