All Meeting Minutes

1996.10.29 - Excom

EXCOM MEETING
Tuesday October 29, 1996

Minutes of the regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club.

Date of meeting: 10/29/96

Meeting called to order at: 1915

Presiding officer: Bill Csajko, Commodore.

In attendance: Bill Csajko, Bill Gavelis, Bill Moseley, Paul Herzmark, Peter Baczek, Liam Carey, Rebecca Haussmann, Dan Acland, Narcisse

*FINANCIAL REPORT*

Checking: $18,000 approximately

Money Market: $535

*COMMODORE'S REPORT* (Bill Csajko)

Bill discussed the upcoming general membership meeting and admonished ex-comm members to give informative reports.

Bill is planning to write thank you letters, for their contribution to our interaction with WD Schock, to Sam Goldstein, Peter Minkwitz, and Jack McKinnon.

*VICE COMMODORE'S REPORT* (Narcisse)

Narcisse is still working on the next issue of the floating bottle. Anyone with an article, story, blurb, vignette, or nautical recipe should submit it immediately.

Narcisse is looking into the possibility of arranging for club members to receive a discount at Barnes and Noble bookstores.

Narcisse is looking into possible donations of work and/or money for construction of club facillities from an organization she has heard of.

Rebecca reported that due to inclement weather the painting of the exterior of the clubhouse is still in progress.

*FIRST VICE COMMODORE'S REPORT* (Rebecca Haussmann)

Information from the Lido log books shows that the boats are largely coming back dry inside. Occasionally boats that have been sailed hard come in with a gallon or two of water, which Rebecca considers negligible. She has been discussing various options for rebuilding the centerboard cases of the Lidos.

Peter Kuhn reported to Rebecca that upon close inspection he found that during the recent repairs of the Lidos by WD Schock, fiberglass had been added not only to the interior walls of the centerboard cases, but to the exterior walls as well. This is encouraging.

Midnight Moonlight Madness was a success. There was a discussion of having two moonlight events, one earlier in the year when the temperature is nicer.

Rebecca expressed a desire to purchase for the club a dolly she has recently seen which allows easy movation of small craft such as lasers, large windsurfers, and...(ahem)...kayaks. A motion was made by Dan Acland to purchase such a dolly, (only because he wanted to get on with the meeting) seconded by Paul Herzmark, and passed with 6 in favor, no opposed, and 2 abstentions.

*SECOND VICE COMMODORE'S REPORT* (Bill Moseley)

Bill raised a discussion of an expenditure by a member who asked for reimbursement, but who had not received approval from an ex-comm member for the expenditure. This practice is frowned upon. It cannot be assumed that ex-comm will reimburse members who have not received prior approval for their expenditures. Please check with an ex-comm members before you buy for the club. 

*THIRD VICE COMMODORE'S REPORT* (Paul Herzmark)

Paul will be stepping down as 3rd vice commodore. He reported that Abizar Lakdawalla is willing to run for the office at the next general membership meeting.

The rudder on Uncle Donald is coming loose from its post. Some members feel that this is a pressing problem for which the boat should be re-hauled and repaired. There was discussion of the matter, but no conclusion.

*REAR COMMODORE'S REPORT* (Peter Baczek)

Peter is discouraged by the lack of response to his newly instituted "instructor evaluation forms." Please fill out an evaluation after your lesson. Let Peter know what you liked or disliked.

There was a discussion of ways to improve the teaching program. 

*PORT CAPTAIN'S REPORT* (Liam Carey)

Liam will be running for Port Captain again.

Bill Csajko noted that the dayleaders are invited and encouraged to attend the general membership meeting.

The club opens at 1300 on Thursdays due to a dayleader schedule conflict. Liam will post a permanent sign on the door of the club to notify people of this aberration.

Liam will be gone for one month during the winter break at UC Berkeley. He will make preparations for his absence in order to assure that the club stays open.

*SECRETARY'S REPORT* (Dan Acland)

Dan will be stepping down, and a replacement secretary is needed. (It's heaps of fun folks.)

*TREASURER'S REPORT* (Bill Gavelis)

Bill mentioned some deadbeat members who's membership checks have bounced. (Not good folks.)

***************

**AGENDA ITEMS**

*Miserable Stinking Kayaks

Rebecca reported on her findings about the possible purchase of two Miserable Stinking Kayaks. She presented a draft of a proposed set of changes to the operating rules, and a "letter of introduction" to members to orient them to the use of the Miserable Stinking Kayaks. Narcisse made a motion to approve the expenditure of $1500 for two Miserable Stinking Kayaks and their attendant paraphernalia. The motion was seconded by Rebecca. There was discussion, mostly a rehashing of points made by members of ex-comm who are opposed to the possibility of the club eventually developing a full fledged program for Miserable Stinking Kayaks. The motion passed with 6 in favor, 2 opposed, and 1 abstention. I hope it chokes you.