All Meeting Minutes

1996.11.21 - Excom

EXCOM MEETING
Thursday November 21, 1996

November 21, 1996

Minutes of the Cal Sailing Club

The regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Clubhouse on Thursday, November 21, 1996. Commodore Rebecca Haussmann presided.

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM. In attendance were Rebecca Haussmann, Narcisse, Martin Scanlan, Bill Moseley, Abizar Lakdawalla, Peter Baczek, Bill Gavelis and Bill Csajko. Also in attendance were members Dan Acland, Robert Ofsevit, Paul Herzmark and Ken Shepherd.

As of November 21, 1996, the Club has $19,267 in the checking and money market accounts.

Prior to the reports, two members requested that issues be discussed:

Daisy Compass (Robert Ofsevit) - The compass on ADaisy@ had all the fluid leak out of it, and as a result the compass does not work very well. Robert checked West Marine for a replacement compass, and recommends a model that costs about $110 without the Port Supply discount. According to the people he talked to there, the discount would be minimal. He volunteered to install the compass once purchased. Rebecca moved to purchase a replacement compass at a cost not to exceed $130. Bill Csajko seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

Modifications to Clubhouse and Yard (Dan Acland) - Dan met with Liam Carey, Bill Csajko and Dan Twelker to plan modifications to the clubhouse and yard to make better use of the clubhouse interior, and get some of the wet items out of the clubhouse. Dan proposes two phases to the modifications. First, the Novice Windsurfer container would be moved from its current location to a position parallel to the main windsurfer locker, and about twelve feet away. The area between the two lockers would be covered with a wood frame overlain with corrugated fiberglass. This area would be used to store the Novice Windsurfer sails, and the small container would be used to store the rudders,, tillers, paddles and foul weather gear now stored in the clubhouse, as well as the life jackets. The dinghies would be rearranged to fit in the new open space in the yard. The small interior wall in the clubhouse that the tillers are stored on would be removed, and the life jacket locker would be removed. Dan estimates the cost for having someone bring in equipment to move the container to be about $150, and the cost for the corrugated roof to be about $150, with a total cost of about $350 including various hangers for the rudders, etc. in the container.

The second phase would be construction of a counter to make a separate area for the Dayleader. The counter would extend from the window to the changing room, would have a gate, and would have storage areas underneath for documents, files, etc. The existing Dayleader box would be removed, and the benches would be relocated. The purpose of this change is to separate the functions of the Dayleader from the social and other activities in the clubhouse, and making it less disorganized. The dry rot in the southwest corner of the clubhouse, and the potential replacement of the floor would not be addressed in this plan, but would not be impeded by this in the future. The estimated cost for this phase would be about $350. Dan will present a drawing to the Executive Committee at the next meeting to better detail the proposed changes.

REPORTS

Commodore (Rebecca Haussmann)

Thank-You Letters:

Bill Csajko stated that one of his last acts as Commodore was to send thank you letters to Sam Goldstein, Peter Minkwitz, and Jack Mackinnon for their assistance our dealings with the W. D. Schock Corporation.

Port Supply Cards:

Rebecca requested Bill Gavelis to have Martin and Abizar placed on the Port Supply list.

Goals:

Rebecca stated that her goals are to nurture areas of the club that need attention; work with the Waterfront Commission and the Marina management to make them aware of CSC=s important role in the community, in part by preparing a new Annual Report; and solidify the outreach programs in the club.

Piles:

Rebecca will talk to the Harbormaster about the status of replacing the piles on the dock in front of our club.

Vice Commodore (Narcisse)

Jack London Boat Show:

The next boat show is in April, and they are already planning it. Sally from Pineapple Sails is in charge of the rides. The show will have all powerboats the first week, and all sailboats the second week. We probably will not have a booth, but will give rides.

Social Chair:

Narcisse does not plan on finding a replacement right away for Brian Battuello (Social Chair) with him leaving.

Treasurer (Bill Gavelis)

Financial Planning:

Bill stated that we need to think about the capital fund and our overall financial situation, since we=ve spent more than budgeted in capital and maintenance expenses already this fiscal year. Options to consider include decreasing spending or raising dues, which, adjusted for inflation, are less than they were years ago. He also noted that the windsurfer rental lockers are still full, though not in strong demand.

Low Tides:

Bill noted that in the past, the club was closed during low tides, but that recently the policy is to remain open for people inquiring about the club, allowing members to do work credit, or make other non-sailing use of the facility. Consideration will be given to volunteer Dayleaders during these times.

Ways to Increase Revenue:

Bill suggested two ways to increase revenue. First, our Yellow Pages ad along with our voicemail number cost about $75 per month. No one has checked or answered the voicemail in years; it is just used to have the message which says come down to the club. He suggested having people check the messages and respond to them (there are no recent messages, since the mailbox has been full for years), and so get more people to come down. If we find no one leaves messages, we could consider eliminating the service. Second, he suggested having cards sent to people who will have their memberships expire, to remind them to renew.

First Vice Commodore (Martin Scanlan)

Anchors:

Two Lidos do not have anchors, and the JY-15 does not have one either. It was suggested to look for the Lido anchors in the Rhodes 19's.

Trailers:

Martin will look into painting the Lido trailers. He will also look into getting rubber wheels for the front of the trailers.

Adopt a Boat:

Martin still intends to implement an Adopt-a-Boat program for the dinghies, where individual members will volunteer to take care of selected dinghies.

Storage of Rudders/Tillers:

Martin suggested storing the Lido rudders and tillers in the boats, instead of inside the clubhouse, but there was no consensus on this suggestion.

Lido Centerboard Cases:

Martin, Rebecca, Bill Gavelis and some others will work on the design and construction of strengthening modifications to the Lido centerboard cases this winter.

Second Vice Commodore (Bill Moseley)

Bill had nothing to report.

Third Vice Commodore (Abizar Lakdawalla)

Uncle Donald Rudder:

Abizar discussed how the rudder on AUncle Donald@ is loose and has the potential for breaking, but it was noted that the decision was made at the haulout to not do anything at this time.

Ensign Floorboards:

The floorboards on some of the Ensigns are loose. Rebecca will help Abizar with this.

Battery Chargers:

There are a couple of battery chargers that were purchased a while ago, but are incompatible with our batteries. We will try to sell them.

Rear Commodore (Peter Baczek)

Teaching Survey:

Peter has received very few results from his teaching survey, and may modify it.

Keelboat Lessons:

Peter will prepare a written curriculum for the Wednesday night keelboat lessons, similar to the one for the Lidos. He is still making weekend day keelboat lessons available by request.

Lectures:

Peter will look into having co-sponsored lectures with lecturers from outside the club, as well as from within.

Instructor Fast-Track:

Peter may have a Lido instructor Afast-track@ day where instructors give lessons to each other, and are given feedback on the quality of their lessons.

Secretary (Bill Csajko)

Executive Committee Pictures:

Rebecca will take pictures of Executive Committee members for the back wall.

Phone/E-Mail List:

Bill will prepare a phone/e-mail list for the Executive Committee. 

AGENDA ITEMS

Operating Rules:

Bill Csajko presented proposed changes to the Operating Rules. The changes are primarily to address the acquisition of the kayaks and the JY-15. A change was also proposed to require Executive Committe approval of any minors joining the club. Two modifications were made to the proposal (maximum wind speed of 7 knots for the kayaks, and defining minors to be those under 17 years of age). Bill proposed approval of the changes. Martin seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

Executive Committee Goals:

Rebecca asked each member of the Executive Committee to present at the next meeting, their goals for the next six months in office. 

The meeting ended at 10:00 PM. The next regular Executive Committee meeting is scheduledfor Thursday, December 5, 1996.