All Meeting Minutes

1996.12.05 - Excom

EXCOM MEETING
Thursday December 05, 1996

December 6, 1996

Minutes of the Cal Sailing Club

The regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Clubhouse on Thursday, December 5, 1996. Commodore Rebecca Haussmann presided.

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM. In attendance were Rebecca Haussmann, Martin Scanlan, Bill Moseley, Abizar Lakdawalla, Peter Baczek, Bill Gavelis and Bill Csajko. Also in attendance were members Dan Acland, Robert Ofsevit, and Ken Shepherd.

As of December 5, 1996, the Club has $20,006 in the checking account. 

Prior to the reports, two members requested that issues be discussed:

Modifications to Yard (Dan Acland) - Dan used a scale layout of the yard, with cutouts to represent the boats and storage lockers, in order to illustrate the proposed rearrangement of the yard. He had originally proposed that the Novice Windsurfer sail locker be moved to a location approximately 12 feet east of the large Windsurfer locker, but it was pointed out by Charles Clausen that the Novice Windsurfer sail locker acts as a windbreak for the stored dinghies during winter storms with strong southerly winds. So instead, Dan proposed moving the large windsurfer locker to approximately the same location as the Novice Windsurfer sail locker (but closer to the fence on both the south and east sides), and moving the Novice Windsurfer locker to a location approximately 12 feet north of the relocated large windsurfer locker. The area between the two lockers would be covered with a roof made of corrugated fiberglass with wood beams, and would be used to store the Novice Windsurfer sails and the kayaks. The wooden windsurfing board storage locker would be placed at the northwest end of the relocated large windsurfer locker. The two Rhodes 19's would be stored in the northwest corner of the yard (using the space where the large Windsurfer locker is now located), and the Lidos would all line up along the north side of the yard. Racks would be constructed on the east side of the yard to store the Lasers and Bytes more efficiently, and the remaining boats and skiffs would be stored in the remaining areas. The windsurfer rigging area would remain where it is. The relocated Novice Windsurfer locker would be used to store extra boat sails (as is currently being done) plus store the rudders, tillers, paddles and life jackets currently stored in the Clubhouse or the PFD locker.

One problem with the layout that was identified was that one of the doors to the relocated large windsurfer locker would open out the entrance to the yard; however the locker could be set a small distance from the south fence to avoid having the door extend out into the public walkway.

Dan had done research on the availability and cost of companies that can move the lockers (the large locker weighs several tons). Dan moved to spend up to $700 to cover the cost of moving the lockers, construct the roof between the lockers, construct racks for the Lasers and Bytes, and install shelves or hangers in the relocated Novice Windsurfer locker for the rudders, etc. Bill Gavelis seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

ADaisy@ Compass (Robert Ofsevit) - Robert and John Mankey installed the new compass on ADaisy.@ While doing the installation, they noted the poor quality of the electrical wiring in the boat, and made some repairs, but more improvements should be made.

REPORTS

Commodore (Rebecca Haussmann)

Lidos:

Rebecca and Abizar will water test the Lidos again this weekend as a check on their condition. Rebecca will then send a letter to the W. D. Schock Corporation, advising them of the test results, and restating our position with regard to their continued responsibility for design and/or construction defects until the boats have been sufficiently tested over time.

Astroturf:

Rebecca suggested that we could use scrap Astroturf to replace the rotting carpets near the west hoist and in the windsurfer rigging area behind the club. Anyone that knows where some can be purchased cheaply should contact her.

Vice Commodore (Narcisse)

No report was provided.

First Vice Commodore (Martin Scanlan)

JY-15 Anchor:

The anchor has been installed on the JY-15.

Trailers:

Paint has been purchased to begin painting the Lido trailers where they are rusted. He is still looking around for wheels to replace the hard plastic wheels at the front of the Lido trailers. Rebecca noted that she had researched getting a small dolly for moving the Lasers, Bytes, windsurfing boards and kayaks to the dock. She noted that not everyone is capable of easily carrying windsurfing boards alone, and a dolly would eliminate having people depend on getting someone else to help them move the boats, boards or kayaks to the dock. Rebecca moved to spend up to $120 to purchase the dolly. Bill Csajko seconded the motion, and it passed with a vote of six for, and one against.

Lido Centerboard Cases:

Martin will have a meeting next Tuesday night at 7:00 at the Berkeley Yacht Club to discuss how we plan to design the Lido centerboard case strengthening.

Lido Spare Parts:

Rebecca will ask Tom Schock in her letter to him for a list of parts for the Lidos, including manufacturer and part numbers, so we can set up a spare part inventory.

Second Vice Commodore (Bill Moseley)

(Lack of) Windsurfing:

Only five people have signed out windsurfing equipment in the past month.

Windsurfing Meeting:

Bill will hold a meeting next week to discuss the windsurfing program next year.

Third Vice Commodore (Abizar Lakdawalla)

Battery Chargers:

The two battery chargers are still for sale. We now have only one one that is compatible with our batteries, and some of the batteries are in bad shape due to lack of proper charging. Rebecca moved to spend up to $130 to purchase a second battery charger, on the condition that Abizar fully research the purchase to make sure the correct one is obtained. Bill Csajko seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

Ensign Floorboards:

The floorboard repairs on the Ensigns are done.

AUncle Donald@ Sail Cover, Jib Block:

The clips on the sail cover for AUncle Donald@ are almost all broken and will not close. Rebecca will help in installing sail ties on the cover. The jib halyard block has been delivered, and can now be replaced.

ADewey@ Cabin Door:

The cabin door on ADewey@ was broken during a Friday night race. Martin will perform the repairs.

Commander Deck Joints:

The hull-deck joint on AUncle Donald@ still leaks around the chainplates. The hull-deck joint on ADaisy@ leaks badly and needs sealing.

ADewey@ Mainsheet:

The mainsheet on ADewey@ is badly frayed, however, it does not yet need to be replaced.

Ensign Winches:

Although the six winches for the three Ensigns were purchased a while ago, only one set has been installed (on Dewey). Also, the winches need to be installed with some sort of an inclined shim. Abizar will see that they are installed.

Rear Commodore (Peter Baczek)

Battery Charging:

Peter will incorporate teaching how to properly charge the boat batteries into the Wednesday night keelboat lessons.

Secretary (Bill Csajko)

Permanent Minutes Files:

Bill has been updating the permanent file of CSC minutes. Bill Gavelis noted that Sue Robertson has a lot of old CSC files.

Operating Rules:

The operating rule revisions have been incorporated into a new master copy for printing. The revised copy will not be printed until the existing ones are used up.

Printing Inventory:

Bill took an inventory of the documents on hand at the club to determine what needs to be printed. Rebecca noted that Dan Acland should have a stack of membership cards.

Treasurer (Bill Gavelis)

Low Tides:

There was discussion again about whether the club should remain open during low tides when the skiff is inoperable. Some argued that keeping the club open allows members to perform other activities, such as work credit, and enables the public to get information on us. Others argued that the Dayleaders usually have nothing to do since hardly anyone shows up, and we just waste money. Bill Csajko will research the amount of days we would potentially be closed down, and the cost savings associated with it.

Berkeley Yacht Club:

Bill noted that the Berkeley Yacht Club is considering having a new membership category, wherein other clubs can apply to allow their members to join the BYC at a substantially reduced fee, allowing them to use the facilities whenever a regular BYC member is present. Other clubs would have to give the BYC similar reciprocal privileges. We will consider applying for such reciprocal privileges if BYC passes it.

AGENDA ITEMS

Committee Chairs:

Rebecca went over the list of club committees, and determined which members of the Executive Committee have responsibility for oversight of each committee.

The meeting ended at 9:10 PM. The next regular Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, December 19, 1996.