All Meeting Minutes

1996.12.19 - Excom

EXCOM MEETING
Thursday December 19, 1996

December 19, 1996

Minutes of the Cal Sailing Club

The regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Clubhouse on Thursday, December 19, 1996. Commodore Rebecca Haussmann presided.

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM. In attendance were Rebecca Haussmann, Abizar Lakdawalla, Peter Baczek, Bill Gavelis and Bill Csajko. Also in attendance was member Martin Schaaf.

No report on club finances was provided.

REPORTS

Commodore (Rebecca Haussmann)

Centerboard Strengthening:

Martin Scanlan had a meeting last week to discuss plans for strengthening the centerboard cases on the Lidos.

Lido Testing:

Rebecca water tested Lido hull number 1, and found no leaks. She will continue to test the hulls.

Vice Commodore (Narcisse)

No report was provided.

First Vice Commodore (Martin Scanlan)

No report was provided.

Second Vice Commodore (Bill Moseley)

No report was provided.

Third Vice Commodore (Abizar Lakdawalla)

Keelboat Wiring:

AUncle Donald@ is being rewired. It was found that the wiring was providing little electrical resistance, resulting in a drain on the battery. New battery charger clips are being installed on the keelboats to replace corroded ones. The old battery charger was traded in for a new, upgraded model, at no additional cost. All batteries are now fully charged.

Other Keelboat Repairs:

The other winches on the Ensigns will be installed next week. The cracked coming on AUncle Donald@ was repaired by Abizar.

Rear Commodore (Peter Baczek)

Keelboat Lesson Procedures:

Peter is preparing a handout that will give information on teaching keelboat lessons.

Weekend Keelboat Lessons:

Todd Price volunteered to organize students and teachers for keelboat lessons on weekend days during the winter, in addition to the Wednesday night lessons. Bill Gavelis suggested using the club=s answering service to help in signing up people, since it is only being used for cruises, and there are very few of those this time of year. Ed Shirk suggested prequalifying students for keelboat lessons, such as requiring passing the Senior Skipper written test, but there was no support for this idea.

Teaching Seminar:

Peter is still planning on having a round table discussion between Lido teachers, but will probably put it off until later on toward spring.

Video Library:

A lot of the teaching videos have not been returned. Bill Prinzmetal gave Peter a list of the outstanding videos, and the names and phone numbers of the last people to check them out. Several of the videos have now been returned, but all the windsurfers who checked out videos have disconnected phone numbers. Rebecca will make a note for dayleaders to check the checkout list once a week, and to call for ones that are out a long time.

Treasurer (Bill Gavelis)

Racing Season:

The winter racing season began last weekend, and a new member, who passed his Junior Skipper and Racing Skipper ratings all within a few days of joining, came in first.

Cal 20:

The check for payment for the donated Cal 20 bounced, and the purchaser promised to pay cash for, although we have not yet received the money yet.

Memberships:

Only 37 members signed up in the last six weeks. Seven of those were free memberships, and some that are questionable will be looked into by Bill and Rebecca.

Secretary (Bill Csajko)

Bill had nothing to report.

AGENDA ITEMS

Low Tide Closures:

Bill Csajko had prepared a spreadsheet laying out all extreme the low tides between now and the end of our fiscal year (April 30, 1997), and the impact of a policy being discussed to close the club during times when the skiff is inoperable due to low tide. Assuming we would always keep the club open on lesson days and weekends, despite low tide t(o allow members to take written and rigging tests, perform work credit and socialize, and allow members of the public to gain information about the club and possibly join), there would be a fairly small monetary savings. Rebecca recommended that instead of a blanket low tide closure policy, that dayleaders be given the discretion to close the club at 5:00 during the winter when the skiff will be inoperable due to low tide until sunset, provided no one is around and it seems like the dayleader would just be wasting time. There was general agreement with this, and Rebecca will notify the dayleaders of this change in policy.

Disability Access:

The Commission on Disability of the City of Berkeley sent a letter to the club, saying that they were asking all lessees in the marina for their plans on how they were making their facilities accessible to disabled individuals. Paul Herzmark has said he will install a wheelchair ramp to the clubhouse for his Senior project. Martin Schaaf has a proposed disability policy for the club, which Rebecca will review. He noted that disability regulations require we have a Acompliance officer@ to be responsible for making sure we comply with disability regulations. Rebecca gave him that responsibility as Access Chairperson. The Executive Committee told Martin that any files he develops while Access Chairperson should be general in nature, and he should not generate files related to any specific individuals.

New Years Cruise:

The annual ABrian Howell Memorial New Year=s Day Cruise@ will be held on Wednesday, January 1, 1997. Rebecca will take a Commander to Sam=s in Tiburon as her first qualifying cruise for the Cruising Skipper rating, with Bill Gavelis overseeing it. Members interested in going should sign up with the answering service as for other cruises, and other Cruising Skippers and members with their own boats are encouraged to sail that day also.

Low Tide Windsurfing:

Rebecca proposed allowing windsurfers to sail during low tides in the winter when there is a strong southerly wind, and the skiff is inoperable, since there are few days in the winter when windsurfing is possible. She believes there would be no safety problem since they would be blown back to the club if something goes wrong. There was no support for this proposed policy from the other members on the Executive Committee at this meeting, and was therefore dropped.

The meeting ended at 8:45 PM. The next regular Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, January 2, 1997.