All Meeting Minutes

1995.02.17 - Excom

Thursday February 16, 1995

February 17, 1995


Cal Sailing Club

The regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Clubhouse on Thursday, February 16, 1995. Commodore Scott Hotes presided.

The meeting was called to order at 7:20 PM. In attendance were Scott Hotes, Veronique Anxolabehere, Mark Donovan, Rebecca Haussmann, Stephen Gehlbach, and Bill Csajko. Also in attendance were members Ken Shepherd and Dan Acland.

As of February 16, 1995, the Club has the following sums of money in their respective accounts:

Checking $7,442

Money Market $18,526

Treasury Bills $40,000

Total $65,968


Commodore's Report (Scott Hotes)

Registration Numbers. Bill will put registration numbers on Huey and the skiff, and replace the registration numbers on the boats with wrong numbers.

Marina Manager. A new manager (Tom Polk) was hired by the marina. He will visit the Club tomorrow morning at 8:00 AM to familiarize himself with the facilities. Scott will accompany him. Mr. Polk will be in charge of reviewing the proposed changes to our lease.

Grants. Scott looked into a place called the "Foundation Center" in San Francisco, which is a place for researching potential grant sources. Grants are being sought by the Club to fund the expanded outreach program. Scott will attend an orientation meeting on finding grants. Information is being sent to Veronique. 

Vice Commodore's Report (Veronique Anxolabehere)

Open House. The last Open House attracted approximately 30-40 people, and resulted in about 13 new members. Veronique expects a greater attendance in March. She has contacted several radio stations and newspapers for free advertising. Stephen suggested putting CSC pamphlets at the local windsurfing stores. We will also advertise in the pink section of the San Francisco Chronicle. The Club is way under budget right now for advertising.

Membership Database. In order to have a backup to the membership database currently held by Daniel Wildermuth, Veronique will have Patrick and/or Bill receive a copy of the electronic file from Daniel each month by e-mail. Daniel is also looking for someone to replace him in taking care of the membership database.

Swap Meet. There will be a swap meet at the Berkeley Yacht Club from 7 AM to 1 PM on Sunday, February 26. Veronique will represent the Club at the swap meet, mainly to attract new members. No one knew of any used equipment the Club could sell there, but Veronique will sell T-shirts and hand out CSC pamphlets.

First Vice Commodore's Report (John Drewery)

No report was given.

Second Vice Commodore's Report (Mark Donovan)

Equipment Repair. Mark worked on repairing some of the equipment. He is trying to get Sander to help repair a high-tech glass board.

Third Vice Commodore's Report (Rebecca Haussmann)

Louie. Two members are working on repairing the cockpit in Louie for a senior project. Others are working on strengthening the foredeck and putting a gel coat on the foredeck.

Rear Commodore's Report (Louie Benainous)

No report was given.

Port Captain's Report (Stephen Gehlbach)

Dayleader Meeting. Stephen held a Dayleader meeting on Wednesday night to get the Dayleaders prepared for the coming season. Among the discussion items were safety and preventative measures.

Treasurer's Report (Patrick Twohy, via e-mail message dated February 16, 1995)

Interest Rates. With the current interest rate/stock market configuration, we are not only using the safest places to keep our savings, we are using what some experts believe are the most profitable.

Racing Associates. Hester Burn-Callander, who is in charge of our racing associate member program, suggests we place a classified ad in Latitude 38 from April through December for the program. It costs about $25 per month and would probably pay for itself. The proposal was agreed to based also on the good publicity the Club receives from the program.

Receipts. Patrick again stressed the need to provide receipts for all purchases. This is essential for accurate bookkeeping. 

Secretary's Report (Bill Csajko)

Boat Registrations. Bill mailed in the registration fees for the Club's fleet of boats this week.

Tide Calendar. A new calendar showing tides at the Club was put up for Dayleader use.


Sails for Daisy. Ken Shepherd suggested buying a new mainsail for Daisy. Other things he saw needed being done to prepare the Club for upcoming cruises were repairing a leak in the deck joints on Daisy, repairing the cruising motors, and getting another spinnaker turtle. Rebecca looked into the cost for new sails for Daisy -- it would cost approximately $1,050 for a new mainsail and a 110 jib. Bill asked about obtaining a storm jib for Daisy, which did not have one. However, a new storm jib for Uncle Donald that was in storage is now being used for Daisy, and the existing one on Uncle Donald is in good shape, so there is no need to buy another storm jib. Rebecca made a motion to purchase a new mainsail and 110 jib for Daisy for a cost not to exceed $1,200. The motion was modified to increase the cost limit to $1,300 to account for including a telltale window and draft stripes. Veronique seconded the motion. The motion was passed unanimously.

Radios. Scott asked that Rebecca check all the radios on the keelboats. Right now the one on Huey does not work, and the one on Daisy only partially works.

Tshirts. Rebecca currently is in charge of storing and selling Club T-shirts. Both her and Veronique want to make the T-shirts more available to the membership for sales, since right now the process is fairly cumbersome. There are about 6 or 7 boxes of T-shirts, and storing them all at the Club would cause several problems: deterioration due to humidity, lack of space, and the possibility of theft. Alternatives discussed included getting someone new to be in charge of T-shirts (Scott noted that Rebecca agreed to do it only when no one at a General Membership meetgin would agree to do it), and having someone be at the Club one day of the week to sell them. Stephen suggested having someone build a ventilated locker above the Dayleader locker to store a limited number of T-shirts, and have the Dayleaders sell them. This alternative was considered to be the most viable, and will be pursued further.

Windsurfing Sails. Mark noted that he only bought two windsurfing sails last year, and has about $600 left in his budget. He also has about $570 left in the sail repair budget. There are two 6.0 Novice sails that are in bad shape, and two 5.9 Novice sails that are in good shape. He made a motion to buy two new 6.0 Novice sails for a cost not to exceed $650. The motion passed unanimously.

Cabin Doors. Rebecca stated that Zaaf Hasnain, who is working on Louie, suggested we construct new doors to the cabin instead of refinishing the old ones, since they are repairing the cabin in the keelboat and this would make everything look better. Ken Shepherd brought in the doors for the committee to inspect, and it was decided that the existing doors are in good enough shape and therefore should be refinished instead of replaced.

Skiffs. Scott noted that reliable skiffs are essential to maintaining safety in the Club. There are a couple of things that concern Scott -- first, no one on the Executive Committee is directly responsible for the skiffs, and second, the skiffs tend to take on water and have turned turtle twice recently. He also thought the 30 HP Yamaha engine should be sold if not repaired by the end of March. Stephen suggested the two engines (the 30 HP and the 18 HP) both be taken to an outboard repair shop for a professional tune-up. Tim Brandon had volunteered to take them there in his truck. Stephen made a motion to have the 30 HP and 18 HP skiff engines tuned up, at a cost not to exceed $400 for the 30 HP engine and $200 for the 18 HP engine. Rebecca seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously. Scott then discussed the possibility of buying a new skiff, such as a Boston Whaler. One of the skiffs now has a crack in the floor where the seat rests on the floor, and repeated pounding due to waves caused the seat supports to break through. This results in water getting into the core of the fiberglass. It was decided to pursue repairing the hull instead of purchasing a new skiff. 

The meeting was adjourned at 8:55 PM.

The next Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, March 2, 1995.