All Meeting Minutes

1995.05.25 - Excom

EXCOM MEETING
Thursday May 25, 1995

May 26, 1995

MINUTES

Cal Sailing Club

Revised June 7, 1995

The regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Clubhouse on Thursday, May 25, 1995. Vice-Commodore Veronique Anxolabehere presided.

The meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM. In attendance were Veronique Anxolabehere, John Drewery, Olivier Colliou, Dan Acland, Barbara Roos, Louis Benainous, Stephen Gehlbach and Bill Csajko. Also in attendance were members Rebecca Haussmann and Narcisse.

As of May 25, 1995, the Club has the following sums of money in their respective accounts:

Checking $9,722

Money Market $18,789

Treasury Bills $40,000

Total $68,511

REPORTS

Commodore's Report (Veronique Anxolabehere for Scott Hotes)

Annual Report. Scott is writing the Annual Report to be presented to the Waterfront Commission. Veronique is helping Scott compile information on the number of rides given under our outreach program through Bill Prinzmetal and Hester Burn-Callander, and rides given at Open Houses.

Vice Commodore's Report (Veronique Anxolabehere)

Flyers. Veronique had 100 flyers printed, and will have Dayleaders post them at the University.

Floating Bottle. No one has submitted any articles for the Floating Bottle yet. Louis said he will write one on teaching.

General Membership Meeting. The next General Membership meeting is scheduled for Thursday, August 3.

First Vice Commodore's Report (John Drewery)

Dinghy Status. We still have six Lidos working. The 470 is fixed; it just needs to have the rigging put on. All the Lasers and Bytes are working.

Second Vice Commodore's Report (Olivier Colliou)

Novice Sail Shed. The Novice Windsurfers really enjoy the new Novice Sail shed. One problem is

that because it is so popular too many sails are being jammed into the shed (up to nine). Olivier will make a sign stating that the maximum number of rigged sails to be stored in the shed will be seven, and if anyone wants to put a particular rigged sail in there and there is already seven in there, he/she will have to derig one first.

Sail Repair. Some Junior-Plus/Senior sails are out being repaired.

Swap Meet. Sander sold $130 worth of donated sails at a swap meet but did not buy anything for the Club.

T-Shirts. Olivier wants to have Club T-shirts made that have a windsurfing logo. He passed around a draft of a logo that he made. He and Rebecca will look into it.

Junior Tests. There appears to be a shortage of people available to give Junior Windsurfer tests. It was noted that this has historically been a problem with the dinghies also.

Windsurfing Magazines. Windsurfers were wondering what happened to all the windsurfing magazines. Apparently they were thrown out when the Club was being cleaned. Olivier will get someone to build a shelf to hold magazines so this does not recur. 

Third Vice Commodore's Report (Dan Acland, Barbara Roos)

Dewey Gooseneck. Dan repaired the boom and gooseneck on "Dewey" using existing hardware, so there was no cost involved other than his labor.

Louie. Dan and Barbara will have a work party this Saturday to complete the work on "Louie".

Keelboat Improvements. Dan and Barbara will prepare a program for making improvements to the keelboats.

Rear Commodore's Report (Louis Benainous)

Senior Keys. Louis, who is in charge of handing out the Senior keys, brought them in for distribution to eligible members. Barbara Roos, who is the assistant Third Vice Commodore, requested approval to obtain a Senior key and a J-dock key so she can adequately perform her duties in the position. Bill moved to allow Barbara to obtain both a Senior key and a J-dock key while she holds the position. John seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously. 

Port Captain's Report (Stephen Gehlbach)

Skiff Status. The 30 HP skiff is being kept out of the water for a week to allow the hull to dry, in preparation for repairing the hull. The 18 HP engine is being repaired, and the newly repaired 8 HP engine is being used in the meantime for the rescue skiff.

Dayleader Training. Stephen will hold a Dayleader training session on Thursday, 1 June, at noon. The session will be for both paid and volunteer Dayleaders. Dan asked who is empowered to certify volunteer Dayleaders. It was generally agreed that the Port Captain, or anyone designated by the Port Captain, may qualify members to be volunteer Dayleaders.

Treasurer's Report (Patrick Twohy, via e-mail dated May 25, 1995)

Budget. A copy of last year's budget was provided.

Secretary's Report (Bill Csajko)

Operating Rules. Bill reminded everyone on the Executive Committee to review the proposed changes to the Operating Rules. We will begin discussion on the changes at the next meeting. 

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Motor Committee (Veronique Anxolabehere for Peter Kuhn)

Motor Status. The 30 HP motor was fixed for $500. The 18 HP motor was fixed for $150, but has not been brought back to the Club yet. The 8 HP motor was fixed for $75, and is being used temporarily on the skiff until the 18 HP motor is picked up. One of the Suzuki 4 HP motors (#2) was fixed for $50, and the other 4 HP motor is scheduled to be repaired at a cost of $150. The skiff hulls still need work, and the cost is estimated to be $500. 

AGENDA TOPICS

First Vice Commodore. John will not be able to spend the time to fully perform the duties of the First Vice Commodore, due to personal reasons. He elected to resign from his position at the end of this Executive Committee meeting. Narcisse agreed to take over the duties of the position. Dan moved to appoint Narcisse to the position of First Vice Commodore for the remainder of the term. Bill seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

Overnight Cruise. Bill moved to allow Scott Hotes to take one of the Commanders on an overnight cruise to Petaluma, leaving this Sunday, May 28, and returning Monday, May 29. John seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously.

Insurance. Bill noted that Scott had asked him to update some information on the boats, boards, trailers, and engines, as requested by our insurance company. He solicited opinions on coverage for the hulls (as opposed to the coverage for collision, personal injury, and medical). Of all the boats, only the two Commanders carried insurance for the hulls. It was thought the two cruising boats carried the coverage not necessarily because of the value of the hulls if damaged, but in case one sunk in an area where it caused a hazard to navigation and it was necessary to have it removed. This being uncertain, Bill will investigate the reason for this further. There was also a question of why there would be different coverage for the hulls for the two boats ($7,500 for Daisy as opposed to $10,000 for Uncle Donald). Bill also questioned why there was hull coverage for the windsurfing boards. It was thought it might be for replacement value if stolen. If that is so, the covered value seemed high ($500) and Olivier suggested $350 would be a more reasonable estimate.

Teaching Seminar. Louis is planning a continuation of the lecture series, and wants to include a seminar on teaching. It was felt that a teaching seminar should be repeated, perhaps as often as once per month. The format of the seminar was discussed, including whether to have lectures, round-table discussions, and/or hands-on training. Louis expects to start the series in about one month.

Senior Key. Rebecca requested permission to obtain a Senior key to help her in carrying out her duties as both Membership Committee chair and T-shirt Committee chair. Bill moved to allow Rebecca to obtain a Senior key. Stephen seconded the motion, and it was approved unanimously.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 PM.

The next Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, June 8, 1995.