All Meeting Minutes

1995.06.08 - Excom

EXCOM MEETING
Thursday June 08, 1995

 

June 9, 1995

MINUTES

Cal Sailing Club

The regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Clubhouse on Thursday, June 8, 1995. Vice-Commodore Veronique Anxolabehere presided.

The meeting was called to order at 7:20 PM. In attendance were Veronique Anxolabehere, Narcisse, Olivier Colliou, Dan Acland, Barbara Roos, Louis Benainous, Stephen Gehlbach and Bill Csajko. Also in attendance were members Rebecca Haussmann, Tim Brandon, Graham Hale, and Ken Shepherd.

As of May 25, 1995, the Club has the following sums of money in their respective accounts:

Checking $13,056

Money Market $18,789

Treasury Bills $40,000

Total $71,845

REPORTS

Commodore's Report (Veronique Anxolabehere for Scott Hotes)

No report was provided.

Vice Commodore's Report (Veronique Anxolabehere)

Open House. The last Open House was successful, with about 100 rides given. Thanks to Brian Battuello, Robert Ofsevit, Martin Schaaf, Peter Baczyk, Peter Kuhn, Graham Hale and Bill Csajko for providing rides.

Floating Bottle. The only article provided so far for the Floating Bottle is an article by Louis on teaching in Lidos. 

First Vice Commodore's Report (Narcisse)

470. The 470 was rigged and is now sailable.


Second Vice Commodore's Report (Olivier Colliou)

Sail Repair. The Junior-Plus/Senior sails that were sent to Windwing for repair are done.

Mast Bases. The initiative Mark Donovan began to replace the Novice mast bases/downhauls with Chinook brand bases has been done.

Novice Sail Shed. There has been no problem with the number of sails in the new Novice sail shed, so Olivier decided not to put up a sign restricting the number of sail at this time.

Windsurfing Manual. Bill noted that a while ago there was an initiative to revise the windsurfing manual to include directions on how to windsurf, not just basic sailing theory and how to rig. Olivier said people are working on it still.

Senior Board. Olivier is still looking for a Senior board to purchase.

Third Vice Commodore's Report (Dan Acland, Barbara Roos)

Dismasting. "Dewey" was dismasted at the spreaders during the Friday night races on May 26. Graham Hale was the skipper on the boat. The dismasting occurred shortly into the race, just after the second or third tack. There were no injuries. Ken Shepherd stood by to assist in his Ensign, along with another boat, and Stephen came out to help in the skiff.

Graham took the broken mast section to Svendsen's for advice on repair. They noted that there was corrosion at the bolt holes for the spreader, and the mast was slightly bent, which may be indicative of loose shrouds. Ken noted that he had noticed loose shrouds on another Ensign, and had tightened them.

Dan stated that he was not yet prepared to make a recommendation on what to do with "Dewey", such as whether to repair it ourselves, have it repaired by someone else, or even dispose of the boat. His main concern right now is that this does not recur with the other keelboats. Another problem that was discovered during the accident was that the radio did not function fully, and further inspection reveals that none of the radios on the Ensigns work. Dan moved to spend up to $250 to repair the radios on the Ensigns. Louis seconded the motion, and it passed unanimously. Dan will talk to Paul Kamen to get advice on the repair of the radios. Rebecca will place a note in the dock boxes to remind the Senior/Cruising Skippers to check the radio before leaving the dock.

Rear Commodore's Report (Louis Benainous)

Lecture Series. Louis has not had time to put together the continuation of the lecture series.

Instructional Materials. Louis will prepare a list of all the instructional materials available at the Club for members to have available as a resource.

Treasurer's Report (Patrick Twohy, via e-mail dated June 7, 1995)

Web Site. Patrick was contacted by a member of the Convair Sailing Club in San Diego as a result of our new World Wide Web site. The San Diego CSC has been a part of General Dynamics, but the company is leaving and they are looking to continue on their own. Their fleet consists of Ensigns, a Commander and some other boats totalling about 19. Our Club's expertise, which they discovered through our Web site, has been a big help to them. Patrick thinks we may be able to assist them in the future with things like working with the Port Authority in San Diego to similar relationship as we do with the City of Berkeley.

Budget. Bill noted that this fiscal year's budget has not yet been approved by the Executive Committee. Veronique said that she wanted a couple of items under social expenses changed -- to change the budgeted amount for "barbecues" from $100 to $400, and the amount for "meeting room, food" from $700 to $400. Stephen questioned why there was $800 for "skiff motors" under capital expenses, since this would be insufficient to purchase a new outboard big enough for the skiff. He suggested the amount be placed under skiff motor maintenance. Narcisse noted that we have already spent almost half the budgeted amount for dinghy sail repairs. She wanted to discuss the budget with John Drewery before voting on it, so the vote was postponed until the next meeting.

Secretary's Report (Bill Csajko)

Minutes. There was a minor revision to last meeting's minutes under the Second Vice Commodore's report.

Insurance. Bill prepared a draft letter to the insurance company to update the list of covered vessels. Veronique will review it before mailing.

Operating Rules. We will finalize the proposed changes to the Operating Rules at the next meeting. Veronique suggested making an index for the rules.

Port Captain's Report (Stephen Gehlbach)

Dayleader Training. Stephen held a Dayleader training session on Thursday, 1 June, at noon. He plans on having one once per month.

New Dayleaders. A new Dayleader started today (Anna). She has sailed before, which is not usual for newly hired Dayleaders. A couple more new Dayleaders will start in the next couple of weeks, therefore he feels the recent problems with a lack of Dayleaders is taken care of. He prepared a new list of volunteer Dayleaders and put it in the back of the log book. He also prepared a list of the basic things Dayleaders should know. He will also prepare an article for the Floating Bottle on Dayleading.

Skiff Status. The 30 HP skiff still has not had the hull repaired. The skiff hull for the 18 HP also has cracks and needs repair. Stephen suggested we have a work party on Saturday, June 24, to repair the skiffs.

COMMITTEE REPORTS

Membership Committee (Rebecca Haussmann)

Transition. Rebecca is ready to receive the membership data from Daniel. She has been in weekly contact with him.

AGENDA TOPICS

Maintenance Supplies. Rebecca wants to purchase various maintenance supplies to have available in the tool shed for routine repairs. She will work with Narcisse to put together a list of proposed purchases.

Boom Purchase. Tim noted that if he was given authority to purchase replacement booms for the Lidos, he would pick them up. Two Lidos need booms, and he suggested purchasing a third one to have around so future repairs would not take so long. Veronique moved to pay up to $400 for three boom extrusions for the Lidos. Narcisse seconded the motion, and it was approved unanimously.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:00 PM.

The next Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, June 22, 1995.