All Meeting Minutes

1995.07.06 - Excom

EXCOM MEETING
Thursday July 06, 1995

July 7, 1995

MINUTES

Cal Sailing Club

The regular meeting of the Executive Committee of the Cal Sailing Club was held at the Clubhouse on Thursday, July 6, 1995. Acting Commodore Veronique Anxolabehere presided.

The meeting was called to order at 7:10 PM. In attendance were Veronique Anxolabehere, Narcisse, Olivier Colliou, Dan Acland, Barbara Roos, Louis Benainous and Bill Csajko. Also in attendance was member Ken Shepherd.

As of July 6, 1995, the Club has the following sums of money in their respective accounts:

Checking $11,586

Money Market $18,789

Treasury Bills $40,000

Total $70,375

REPORTS

Commodore's Report (Veronique Anxolabehere)

Lease. Scott Hotes attended a regular lease-holders meeting with Cliff Marchett (the new Marina Manager), and it does not appear that we will obtain the free berth for "Daisy". There will be another meeting on July 26, and Veronique will attend. 

Vice Commodore's Report (Veronique Anxolabehere)

Open House. The last Open House was successful, with about 80 rides given. About 24 new members signed up. It was agreed more advertising is needed to increase the number of people attending the Open Houses. There was also an Open House day on the Fourth of July. Cindy, the Dayleader, was commended for her energy and friendly professionalism displayed during the Open House.

Floating Bottle. Work on the Floating Bottle is still in progress.

First Vice Commodore's Report (Narcisse)

Lion. Robert Ofsevit is finished painting "Lion" and it will be ready to sail on Friday. Everyone noted that Robert did an exceptional job in painting the Rhodes 19.

Skiff. The 30 HP skiff hull is still being worked on. Narcisse and Peter Kuhn will supervise the completion of the project.

Lido Repairs. Lido hull #8 was repaired on Saturday and is now sailable, making a total of seven Lido's sailable. Lido hull #3 still needs work.

Paddles. Rebecca Haussmann was asked to purchase paddles, and Narcisse will check to see if they were obtained.

Second Vice Commodore's Report (Olivier Colliou)

Windsurfer Status. Olivier was away for three weeks, but no major problems occurred. Two sails were sent out to be repaired.

Senior Board. Tony Phillips spent about 15 hours repairing the Adagio senior board. There was no way to determine who, if any one individual, was responsible for the crack developed in the board. In recognition of the considerable effort provided by Tony, Olivier moved to provide Tony with a free membership for the next quarter. Veronique seconded the motion, and the motion passed unanimously.

Third Vice Commodore's Report (Dan Acland, Barbara Roos)

Ensign Status. Two significant actions have occurred with regard to the Ensigns. First, Peter Baczyk fixed the lights on all three Ensigns. Second, the decision was made to take the radios out of all three Ensigns, since they are all corroding due to the wet environment in the cabins. At least one radio will be repaired and in working condition, and stored in the cruising motor locker. Connections will be installed on the radio and the Ensigns to allow Senior/Cruising Skippers to quickly install the radio in an Ensign if required. The reason for this decision is that with the current situation, the radios are virtually useless due to corrosion, and this will allow skippers to have a working radio when they believe one may be required. The next project for the Ensigns is to replace the partners on the boats.

Rear Commodore's Report (Louis Benainous)

Lecture Series. Louis has scheduled the next lecture series, starting with a roundtable discussion on teaching prior to the next meeting.

Students. It was noted that the number of students has been low lately.

Treasurer's Report (Patrick Twohy, via e-mail dated July 6, 1995)

Dinghy Sail Repairs. Patrick received bills for dinghy sail repairs totaling $233. Last year we spent $336 for dinghy sail repairs, and we have budgeted $700 for this year, so he does not see a problem.

Secretary's Report (Bill Csajko)

No report was provided.

Port Captain's Report (Stephen Gehlbach)

No report was provided.

AGENDA TOPICS

Budget. Veronique moved to approve the fiscal year 1995-1996 budget as proposed by Treasurer Patrick Twohy subject to two modifications: 1) decrease the $800 allotted to skiff motors under Capital Purchases to $0, and correspondingly increase the amount allocated to skiff motor repairs under Maintenance from $600 to $1400, and 2) increase the amount allocated to barbecues under Social from $100 to $400, and correspondingly decrease the amount allocated to meeting rooms from $700 to $400. Dan seconded the motion, and it was approved unanimously.

Operating Rules. Bill presented a summary of the revisions made to the proposed Operating Rules changes. It was decided to not present the changes to the membership at the next General Membership meeting, but to instead have a one month long review afforded the membership, followed by a vote by the Executive Committee.

Lecture Series. Louis presented his proposal for the next lecture series, which will start on July 20 and end on October 26.

Teaching Techniques. Louis noted that there are considerable differences in the teaching styles used in the Club, and proposed that perhaps there should be more consistency. The example he presented was the method for teaching tacking (facing forward or backward). After considerable debate as to the merits of the various methods, it was decided that the Rear Commodore position allows Louis to implement a policy of suggesting a specific method for tacking and jibing (in this instance, looking backward) to assure consistency in teaching methods.

Power Tool Lock. Narcisse requested a Dayleader key to enable her to get into the power tool locker at any time. After some discussion, it was determined that the a Senior key should be all that is required to access the power tool locker. Narcisse will change the lock accordingly.

West Marine Card. Narcisse requested a card for purchasing supplies at West Marine. Dan and Barbara noted that they need cards for purchasing supplies also. Veronique will contact Patrick Twohy to get the cards for them.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:05 PM.

The next Executive Committee meeting is scheduled for Thursday, July 20, 1995. A roundtable discussion on "Giving Great Lido Lessons" will be presented prior to the meeting at 6:00 PM.