All Meeting Minutes
2007.02.05 - General
Monday February 05, 2007
Excomm Members Present:
- Allan Champion, Commodore
- Norm Thomas, Vice Commodore
- Dan Pond, 1st Vice Commodore
- Matt Harvey, 2nd Vice Commodore
- Brian Buchanan, 3rd Vice Commodore
- Peter Kuhn, Treasurer
- Lori Tewksbury, Co-Secretary
- Jennifer Kroon, Co-Secretary
74 Members of the Cal Sailing Club present, including Excomm.
- Bylaw Change
- Office Reports
Current bylaw text:
Bylaws Article VII Section 3. Notice of Meetings: The Executive Committee shall give notice of the time and place of all membership meetings by first class mail, not less than 20 days nor more than 45 days before the meeting; such notice must specify the general nature of any business to be transacted which will require action by the members.
Proposal: Change the bylaws from the above text to the following text.
Bylaws Article VII Section 3. Notice of Meetings: As required by Section 5511 of the California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law, the Executive Committee shall give written notice of the date, time, and place of all membership meetings; the notice must specify the general nature of any business to be transacted that will require action by the members, and the names of any candidates who are running for office. The Executive Committee shall give the notice of membership meetings
- (a) by email or US Postal Service, and
- (b) with an announcement posted at the club.
- Concerns about e-mail addresses being disseminated and people getting spam. E-mail addresses will not be dissiminated.
- Whoever does the notifying will look at the CA Corporation Code to make sure that the notification complies.
- Would like a transition period to work out all the bugs in the system.
- Should have an option on the green membership cards for whether notification comes through e-mail or USPS.
- People could fill out their own post cards if they want USPS notification.
- The e-mail should be sent out from a cal-sailing.org domain name.
- The announcements should be posted on the home page of the website.
- Excomm needs to consider privacy issues.
- A general membership meeting can be called at other times than just the quarterly ones.
- Want the 20-45 day notice back in the bylaws.
Motion: Amend the motion to include the wording "not less than 20 days, not more than 45 days" to the bylaw change for timing of notification.
? moved, ?seconded. 68 ayes, 5 opposed, 1 abstention. Passed.
Motion: Amend the motion to include the word "known" before "candidates running for office."
Barbara moved, Sheldon seconded. 72 ayes, 2 opposed, no abstentions. Passed.
Motion to change the bylaws to the following text:
Bylaws Article VII Section 3. Notice of Meetings:
As required by Section 5511 of the California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law, the Executive Committee shall give written notice of the date, time and place of all membership meetings, not less than 20 days not more than 45 days before the meeting: the notice must specify the general nature of any business to be transacted that will require action by the members, and the names of any known candidates who are running for office. The Executive Committee shall give notice of the membership meetings
- (a)by email or US Postal Service, and
- (b)with an announcement posted at the club.
Lori moved, Matthias seconded. 72 ayes, 2 opposed, no abstentions. Passed.
Allan (Commodore's Report): Thank you to everyone who has been coming out and teaching, and thank you to everyone who has been working to make the club what it is. We received a $25,000 grant from DBW, thank you to everyone who worked on it.
Allan (Rear Commodore's Report): we're about halfway through the winter doldrums and as far as I know lessons have been happening. I would like to thanks all those that have volunteered but I don't have their names.
We have started the Senior Wannabe study group. The first meeting was last Monday and the next one is this Thursday, 6:30 pm at the Berkeley Yacht Club, everyone is welcome to attend. This also applies to anyone out there who is already a Senior or cruising skipper that would like to pass on there knowledge to prospective seniors. We will probably continue to get together weekly, same time same place. The way to keep track is to sign up to the senior wannabe Yahoo group-see the postings around the clubhouse.
We need more seniors!
We have 5 fast tracks scheduled for this summer all tetatively schedule Monday through Friday evenings, the start dates are:
We have volunteers for three- they make great Senior projects!
- 4/30 Pamela Crawford
- 6/18 Norm Thomas
- 7/16 Gordon Stott
- 8/13 Phillip Cannon
Fast tracks are a very important teaching format at CSC
We will be starting a cruising Skipper study group soon, announce,ments to be posted online and around the clubhouse.
Anyone wanting clinics on sailing (either want to learn or want to teach) please email firstname.lastname@example.org
All other comments welcome.
Norm (Vice Commodore's Report): Sophie Soltys is taking over the ad chair.
Jennifer (1st Vice Commodore's Report):
- The 505 has been commissioned
- Thank you to everyone who has been working on the dinghies and keeping them going.
- There is a heated debate as to whther or not we should convert one of the Lidos into a hot tub for the club house deck.
Jennifer (Secretary's report): We asked for $30,000 for the following equipment from DBW.
- $4800 for 8 Dinghy Dollies
- $6600 for 12 Windsurf Boards
- $4200 for 12 Windsurf Rigs
- $2400 for 2 Windsurg Board Dollies
- $12000 for 2 Trainer Dinghies
We need someone to put an edition of the Floating Bottle out, we have articles ready to go, just need some one to format everything. Please see me or Peter if you are interested.
Statement of Financial Condition
|Income 11/1/06 - 1/31/07|
|Dayleader Wage Work-Study Program Reimbursements||$3,248.00|
|Surplus equipment sales (Ranger 23, outboard motors), donations, interest, etc.||$2,418.00|
|Operating Expenses 11/1/06 - 1/31/07|
|Dayleader Wages and Employer Taxes||$6,077.00|
|(workers comp premiums)||$1,084.00|
|Lease (city of Berkeley, $462/mo.)||$1,396.00|
|Newspaper Ads--Lat 38 racing calendar ad||$180.00|
|Dinghy maintenance (repair parts, sail repairs)||$574.00|
|Keelboat maintenance (parts, sail repairs)||$485.00|
|Skiff and engines maintenance, gas||$126.00|
|Buildings & Grounds maintenance||$206.00|
|Club activities--11/1/6 General Membership meetings, 2 Open House BBQ's||$1,494.00|
|Credit card processing fees||$270.00|
|Total operating expenses||$11,894.00|
|Capital Expenditures 11/1/06 - 1/31/07|
|Grounds Improvements (windsurf rack lumber)||$235.00|
|Dinghies (5o5 fixup)||$286.00|
|Keelboat sails & upgrades (Nenya & mast rigging, winch)||$1,811.00|
Total Capital Purchases $2,332
Total Spending $14,226
Effect on Cash Assets Cash on hand 10/31/07 $52,283
Cash on hand 1/31/07 $50,139
Thanks to Neil and Judy for providing cake for everyone. It was delicious. Congratulations on getting married!