All Meeting Minutes
2007.02.05 - Excom
Monday February 05, 2007
Excomm Meeting Minutes 2/7/07
Excomm Members Present:
- Allan Champion, Commodore
- Norm Thomas, Vice Commodore
- Matt Harvey, 2nd Vice Commodore
- Brian Buchanan, 3rd Vice Commodore
- Peter Kuhn, Treasurer
- Jennifer Kroon, Co-Secretary
- Lori Tewksbury, Co-Secretary
Other CSC Members Present:
- Paul Kamen
- Ed Shirk
- Heiko Panther
- Senior Projects
- Bylaw Change
- Single Person Kayak
Motion: Approve the following Senior Projects.
- Windsurfing lessons
- Work on the JY Spinnakers
- Sailing Fast Track, week of April 30th
- Sailing Fast Track, week of July 16th
- Sailing Fast Track, week of August 13th.
Peter moved, Brian seconded. Passed unanimously.
Current bylaw text:
Bylaws Article VII Section 3. Notice of Meetings: The Executive Committee shall give notice of the time and place of all membership meetings by first class mail, not less than 20 days nor more than 45 days before the meeting; such notice must specify the general nature of any business to be transacted which will require action by the members.
Motion: Approve the following bylaw change wording to send to the General Membership to vote on changing the bylaws.
Bylaws Article VII Section 3. Notice of Meetings: As required by Section 5511 of the California Nonprofit Public Benefit Corporation Law, the Executive Committee shall give written notice of the date, time, and place of all membership meetings; the notice must specify the general nature of any business to be transacted that will require action by the members, and the names of any candidates who are running for office. The Executive Committee shall give the notice of membership meetings
(a) by email or US Postal Service, and (b) with an announcement posted at the club.
Peter moved, Jennifer seconded. Passed Unanimously.
Discussion: California law sets requirements for giving notice of meetings at which members elect directors or can take action. Since the last revision of our bylaws, the law was changed to permit use of electronic transmission. The law requires giving notice personally either by mail or electronic transmission, or (if there's no address for the member) at the corporate office or in a newspaper. First class mail is not required, but notice must be provided at least 20 days in advance if first class, registered, or certified mail is not used to give notice.
The primary purpose of this amendment is to reduce the cost of mailing notices to the membership at large. CSC has between 200 and 600 members who must be notified of the club's four general membership meetings each year. Printing postcards and mailing them first class to all current members will cost us $1,000 a year. About 90% of members provide email addresses.
Single Person Kayak
Paul Kamen would like purchase the blue, single person kayak
- will fit in nicely to the Berkeley racing canoe center (dragon boat team)
- he wants to buy the kayak and donate it to the dragon boat program
- Peter asks Paul to leave signs in the clubhouse announcing when the dragon boat team practices
Motion: Give Paul Kamen the kayak for the dragon boat team. Peter moved, Matt seconded. Passed unanimously.
- some discussion that Paul should also take a lido - lidos can serve as hot tubs
- Norm needs the "hot tubs" for the fast tracks
Norm has volunteered to organize the June 18 fast track
- still need someone to organize 5/21 fast track
Brian moved to adjourn, Matt seconded. Passed unanimously.