August 22, 2021 GMM minutes

August 22, 2021 GMM minutes

 

Start Time  6:06 pm

End Time  6:33 pm

 

Location: Virtual

Attendance

 

Title

Name

Code

Present

Commodore (co)

Nicho Waton

NW

Y

Vice Commodore (co)

Christina Polito-Halter

CPH

Y

Vice Commodore (co)

Min Lee

ML

Y

Vice Commodore (co)

Tone Toe

TT

N

First Vice Commodore (co)

James Clarkson

JC

Y

First Vice Commodore (co)

Memo Gunay

MG

Y

Second Vice Commodore (co)

Sofien Sehiri

SS

Y

Second Vice Commodore (co)

Adam Rinder

AR

N

Third Vice Commodore

Ryan Alder

RA

Y

Third Vice Commodore

Andy Hacket

AH

N

Rear Commodore (co)

John Bongiovanni

JB

Y

Rear Commodore (co)

Eric Lee

EL

N

Port Captain (co)

Heather Breaux

HB

N

Port Captain (co)

Adelaide Cahill

AC

N

Treasurer

Peter Kuhn

PK

N

Secretary (co)

Carolyn Brown

CB

Y

Secretary (co)

Birk Huber

BH

Y





Commodore (NW):

The club doing well, tracking near what it was doing in 2019. I would like to thank people giving lessons we have a lot of new students needing them. On budget overall the club is doing well and covering the expenses. Considering 2020 we are remarkably on track. 

 

Blog posts are helpful for driving traffic to our website since they get indexed. Please consider posting.  We will also be doing a website reorganization and are setting up a small team to work on that. We would welcome volunteers for that as well.

 

Vice Commodores (CPH,ML)

Not much going on with open houses thanks to the delta variant.

 

1rst Vice (MG)

New jibs/sail covers are coming in for quests. Not much else to report. Send email to 1rst vices if you need help repairing stuff

 

2nd Vice (SS):

Lots going on. The Sherman island events have been giving access to a lot of first class education for members. Thank you Randy Shapiro for taking lead on setting them up.

Covid did effect board suppliers, sails came but we are waiting on boards. We lost many of our Intermediate/advanced sailors as they drifted away using personal equipment. Our newest senior is Erik Lee. 

 

3rd Vice (Ryan)

Keelboats doing o.k. Daisy is down for planned maintenance getting new standing rigging. The completion was delayed while they check out the state of the cabin top. One Merit (Doctor Who) is down for maintenance after gooseneck failure. It should be sailing within a week.

 

Rear commodore:

(JB dinghy instruction):

In general our sailing instruction programs are all up and running, but at

somewhat lower volumes than pre-COVID.

  1. We are teaching about 12% fewer students on Saturdays than in 2019, but Mondays are about even with 2019, and Thursdays are 50% higher. There is huge interest in our programs. When I arrived at the Club yesterday at 8:55am, there were 20 students lined up to sign up for 10am lessons.
  2. Our basic keelboat program is going well with at least 2 regular Wednesday instructors (soon to be 3) and a lesson coordinator, Pierre Nedelec.
  3. We are running 6 Fast Tracks this year instead of the usual 5 (the last one is the week of August 30). Because the first two were at half normal capacity (COVID restrictions), the total number of students this season will be the normal number. Thanks to everyone who helped, especially the coordinators.
  4. Our last Advanced Dinghy session is tomorrow, finishing a full and successful season with consistently high attendance.
  5. Rating stats are always a good proof point. 24% more members have earned Novice this year than in 2021, but 20% fewer have earned Junior. I would encourage members to skip the Novice reating where possible and go for Junior. In a month or so, the winds will be dropping, so it will be hard to get a Junior test. Only 1 person made Senior this year, compared to 2 in 2019. 

I'll end by thanking all of the instructors and testers. I've seen quite a few newer members teaching, and I encourage all of you who are rated to try it out. It's a rewarding experience, you'll be helping fellow members along the way, and you'll learn a lot. I am also getting great suggestions for improving our program from some newer members, so think about how we can do even better.

(EL windsurfing instruction):

Since the last GMM, we finally escaped the super frequent low tides and have been able to hold Youth and Novice lessons every weekend. This, in combination with loosening COVID-19 restrictions, has meant that we’ve been able to teach many more Novices. We’ve also had several topic-specific clinics for advanced novices, freestyle, water starting, and more. None of this would have been possible without help from a huge number of windsurfers, all of whom have contributed their time and passion for teaching and windsurfing.

Looking forward, we have about two more months of regular lessons scheduled and can hopefully have a few more workshops for advanced novices as well.

 

Port Captains (absent)

No updates.

 

Secretary (BH, CB)

No updates.

 

Treasurer (absent)

 

Report attached to bottom of this document.

 

Comments/Questions from members:

 

Gordon kirkwood: how on topic should blog posts be: would a post about a homebuilt boat project be o.k?  NW: such a post in the stories or teachings section would be fine.

 

Marcos Nascimento: How to pair people who want to train together -- NW: We have a distribution list and also slack has channels that would be good for that. https://join.slack.com/t/calsailingclub/shared_invite/zt-3x258mj8-GtLySGs37ajpwTblBNZcxw

 

Mike Sone:  Meals after fast track were really good for camaraderie -- thanks to people who organize that. NW: In precovid times these sort of events were really what the club was about -- we were a community and getting together was as important as sailing. We are glad to be able to start getting back to those.

 

Comments/Questions from members:

 

Gordon kirkwood: how on topic should blog posts be: would a post about a homebuilt boat project be o.k?  NW: such a post in the stories or teachings section would be fine.

 

Marcos Nascimento: How to pair people who want to train together -- NW: We have a distribution list and also slack has channels that would be good for that. https://join.slack.com/t/calsailingclub/shared_invite/zt-3x258mj8-GtLySGs37ajpwTblBNZcxw

 

Mike Sone:  Meals after fast track were really good for camaraderie -- thanks to people who organize that. NW: In precovid times these sort of events were really what the club was about -- we were a community and getting together was as important as sailing. We are glad to be able to start getting back to those.

May 23, 2021 GMM minutes

Start Time  6:08 pm

End Time 6:38 pm

 

Location: Virtual

 

Attendance

 

Title

Name

Code

Present

Commodore (co)

Mary Lucus-Flannery

MLF

N

Commodore (co)

Nicho Waton

NW

Y

Vice Commodore (co)

Christina Polito-Halter

CPH

Y

Vice Commodore (co)

Min Lee

ML

Y

Vice Commodore (co)

Tone Toe

TT

N

First Vice Commodore (co)

James Clarkson

JC

Y

First Vice Commodore (co)

Memo Gunay

MG

Y

Second Vice Commodore (co)

Sofien Sehiri

SS

N

Second Vice Commodore (co)

Adam Rinder

AR

Y

Third Vice Commodore

Ryan Alder

RA

N

Third Vice Commodore

Andy Hacket

AH

N

Rear Commodore (co)

John Bongiovanni

JB

Y

Rear Commodore (co)

Eric Lee

EL

Y

Port Captain (co)

Heather Breaux

HB

N

Port Captain (co)

Adelaide Cahill

AC

N

Treasurer

Peter Kuhn

PK

N

Secretary (co)

Carolyn Brown

CB

Y

Secretary (co)

Birk Huber

BH

Y



Officer’s Reports

Commodore (NW)

Mary is stepping down. We owe her a lot for all she did before and during the pandemic. Hopefully we will still see her around the club.

The re-open committee has done an incredible amount of work, led by Mark Elwood who has been a force helping us organize and make sense of all the updates from State Country and City. On June 15, hopefully back to almost normal by then. Thanks to the re-open committee

Vice Commodore (CPH)

We are still not encouraging social gatherings, but are waiting to see what June 15 rules will be. Watch for announcements as we get closer. The calendar being updated please check and update any events you manage.

 

First Vice Commodore (MG)

The dinghy fleet is in good shape. 

Jacqui is doing repair clinics: contact her if you want to learn how to repair dinghies.

We have ordered new rudders for quests.

Second Vice Commodore (AR

Sophien took a group to Sherman Island. They had a great time, and it was a good community builder.

We have two new senior rated windsurfers, Adam Rinder and Weisa (Kolbein) Wang

Thanks to folks helping with the lessons and teaching. 

Youth lessons started on April 10 (they repeat every two weeks). 

We have a lot of sails and some boards that are surplus  and are considering having a yard sale where we would invite members to adopt a sail and make a donation to the club. We plan to try this in June (watch for posts) and see how it goes.

 

Third Vice Commodore:

Meritorious standing rigging being completed with new spreaders; new running rigging to follow soon

Portugal Princess renamed to Sea Horse

Keelboat lessons are in full swing again

Big thanks to Sheldon and Greg for all the ongoing work

Winch clinic is being planned

Rear Commodore 

JB (dinghy instruction):

Our Winter Zoom Series finished with a bang, with Kim Nguyen's talk on how a tall ship works based on his experiences on the Lady Washington. Thanks to all who presented and participated in these sessions.

Fast Track started the first week of May in a limited way, with one student and one instructor per boat and no party afterwards. We will continue to offer these, a total of 5 or maybe even 6 this season, and expand them when we are able.

Advanced Dinghy started May 10 and will be held every Monday evening except for Fast Track weeks and holidays. It is running pretty much normally, with 1 or 2 students per boat, depending on the requirements of the session. We've got a great program lined up. Thanks to all who have volunteered to teach this.

We've done a number of special workshops and plan to do more during the season. Watch the Announcements list for details.

We want to get back to normal lessons as soon as we can. This means no lesson signups, just show up during the lesson  period. On Saturdays, a coordinator will manage the flow, and on weekdays it will be self-organizing. The gate is when the CA Berkeley LHJ rules allow us to have more than two people in a dinghy, and when we can have members hanging around the club waiting for lessons.cThanks again to everyone who helped keep us running the last year or so –coordinators, helpers, and especially instructors.

 As we get into the season and restrictions relax even further, we will have a continued need for instructors on Saturdays and especially on weekdays. It's a great way to give back to the Club, help other members on their development, and especially improve your own sailing skills.

We've set up a Slack channel for instructors to share experiences, problems, and solutions. Contact JB if you want to join it.

 

EL (windsurf instruction): 

We are working toward more clinics and workshops for advanced windsurfers. 13 held so far.

Youth lessons are going again.

We are hoping to use trips to Sherman Island as a way to build community. Want to eventually try to get windsurfers for sailing together.

Randy Shapiro is coordinating two different groups of people to attend a clinic in July. 

We would like more advanced novice clinics to help get new windsurfers ready for their Junior.

Port captains (absent).

Secretaries (BH,CB) 

no updates.

 

Treasurer:

 

Update on Marina side (NW on behalf of Camille)

We have a Slack channel for Marina Planning issues.  Please check it out and join if interested. 

We made a presentation at the PWC meeting 5/12 concerning trash in the Marina.  Pls see Slack channel for the presentation.  Result: PWC Chair Gordon Wozniak is sending a resolution to the City to get the marina and parks off the hook financially for trash pick-up.

WETA put up a survey on COB website.  See my announcement on CSC listserve and Slack channel for details.  Pls participate in the survey to have your voice heard.

We also spoke at a Berkeley City Council meeting to support a proposed review to keep the transiency occupancy tax proceeds more fully in the Marina Fund without being sent to the General Fund for the City.  This action is still pending for the City Council to take action.

We have been in communication with windsurfers who launch off spot next to His Lordships and trying to get synergy on improving that space. 

We are discussing dredging in SSB and also want to consider moving the club over just inside of His Lordships. 

A "community" planning meeting is coming up July 20th on Marina Planning. We need to prepare for that.

I am posting as much as I can on the Slack channel, but have lately been in the conversation with myself.  Please join the channel so we can coordinate efforts. 

I have a meeting on Monday with Ali Endress at PRW.  Let me know anything additional you want me to say to her.

CSC member Michael Elie will also help us coordinate responses to the city.

Comments/Questions from members:

We have new wetsuits and new foulies which are appreciated although they make us look less crusty. (NW): a general update on soft gear has been accomplished.

 

Will we get the kitchen back?  (NW): not sure when we will get it back but hopefully it is something we will have again soon.

Feb 23, 2020 GMM minutes

Start Time  6:10 pm

End Time 6:50

Location: Virtual

Attendance

Title

Name

Code

Present

Commodore (co)

Mary Lucus-Flannery

MLF

Y

Commodore (co)

Nicho Waton

NW

Y

Vice Commodore (co)

Christina Polito-Halter

CPH

Y

Vice Commodore (co)

Min Lee

ML

Y

Vice Commodore (co)

Tone Toe

TT

N

First Vice Commodore (co)

James Clarkson

JC

N

First Vice Commodore (co)

Memo Gunay

MG

Y

Second Vice Commodore (co)

Sofien Sehiri

SS

N

Second Vice Commodore (co)

Adam Rinder

AR

Y

Third Vice Commodore

Ryan Alder

RA

N

Rear Commodore (co)

John Bongiovanni

JB

Y

Rear Commodore (co)

Eric Lee

EL

Y

Port Captain (co)

Heather Breaux

HB

N

Port Captain (co)

Adelaide Cahill

AC

N

Treasurer

Peter Kuhn

PK

N

Secretary (co)

Carolyn Brown

CB

Y

Secretary (co)

Birk Huber

BH

Y

Officer’s Reports

Commodore(Mary, Nico)

  • Thank you to all the volunteers that have been working on many projects over the end of the year / winter.
  • Grant request results.  We were able to get most of the amount requested from DBW - thank you to Eric Lee, Min, Peter and Carolyn for the grant writing and submission.
  • In particular, I would like to give a shout out to Camille (Antinori) who has stepped up to be Marina Planning Chair and has given her time to attend the various meetings organized by the City  and marina, with a few other CSC members, and has been reporting back to the club. 
  • High level overview of the club after one year of pandemic:
    • At the beginning of the pandemic, things were quite scary financially for the club, but the good news is that after one year, we are in good shape, thanks to all the donations from the members, and the efforts from club members to reopen the club
    • We’ve had an uptick of new members joining the club, and starting in Oct/November, it was even higher than previous year.
    • Many new members have bought annual memberships
    • The budget is in good shape.
  • Covid protocols: thank you for following the rules, keep it up. The numbers are trending in the right direction for the bay. With the roll-out of the vaccines, one can finally feel optimistic. The Reopening Planning committee is monitoring the latest news and we are considering some updates to the protocols to increase capacity as we are getting in the windy months.
  • Call out about Min’s 360 cool open house video on the website homepage and youtube channel.

Vice Commodore (Christina/Min)

  • min created and posted video on virtual open house and on you tube (thanks!).
  • The Social committee is kind of restricted on activities, but has been organizing game nights. They are also planning some virtual new member parties. Watch for announcements.

First vice (memo, james)

  • The fleet is in good shape.
  • There is a new Jy ordered and we are waiting on quest rudders.
  • Please keep dinghy log up to date and fix stuff.

 

Port Captains: (Heather, Adelaide absent, Nicho presenting)

We are excited to have a spring DL team in place. PCs are *very* grateful for the vdls who continue to help us covering shifts as we work with the strange hiring conditions due to Covid19. We encourage anyone who is interested in getting some good volunteer hours to reach out to PCs for VDL training. We need help covering full shifts and backup support for new DL staff.

 

Treasurer’s Report

Second Vice: (sofien and adam)

  • They are working to get equipment ready for the season.
    • Sail storage closet has been built, and sails tagged and stored.
    • Volunteers are helping out.
    • This requires more repair/refurbish than purchasing.

Third Vice: (Ryan absent, Sofien presenting)

  • Keelboat usage continues to be light.  Fleet is doing well.   With the slow easing of restrictions we're going to resume some of the work that requires more people, like getting Meritorious's mast back up with new standing rigging.
  • I am excited to bring Andy Hackett in as co-3rd.  The 3rd vice position isn't high effort, thanks to Sheldon, our sail maintenance chair, and Greg, who is a keelboat fixing machine.  But it has been occasionally overwhelming being solely responsible for the keelboat fleet, so it'll be nice having someone to share in decisions and help keep an eye on things.  Andy and I have worked together a lot during the Friday dinghy repair clinics and he was crucial in getting the dinghy log to all green, so I'm looking forward to having him join excomm.

Rear Commodore (John - Sailing):

 

We are continuing most of our programs under the current restrictions with the exception of keelboats.

 

Basic/Intermediate Dinghy Lessons

  • Every Saturday morning, one student per dinghy, instructor in another boat.
  • Birk has done a fantastic job organizing this, and we’re getting into shape for the windy season, understanding how best to use the skiff, having an extra person on the dock, how to deal with low tides and odd winds, and rescues
  • We are way oversubscribed with students, and we’re maintaining a wait list for these lessons. We’ve expanded capacity to 9 students each Saturday using a mix of Quests and JYs. We’re encouraging members to take advantage of other opportunities

 

Lessons on  Demand

  • A number of instructors are participating, and students are taking advantage of it. We can’t track the numbers easily

 

Junior Coaching Sessions

  • These are informal sessions on Saturday afternoons. Students reserve boats and connect on the spot with instructors. This just started. The idea is to move more advanced students out of the morning sessions.

 

Weekday lessons

  • Starting in March, we’ll have regular lessons Monday afternoons, coordinated by Mark Elgood. This will relieve somewhat the Saturday demand for those whose schedules match it.

 

Zoom Sessions

  • Weekly Wednesday sessions instead of Senior Study Group. We try to alternate between Junior and Senior topics, and the sessions are open to all members. The March 10 session will be a Dinghy Instructor Workshop
  • David Frasier and Ben Lee’s Knots sessions on Thursdays

 

Videos

 

  • Min Lee is producing and directing a basic Capsize Recovery video (quick introduction for beginners to supplement Camille Antinori’s great 3-part videos) and one on Anchoring

 

Keelboat program

  • Dead in the water pending relaxed distancing restrictions

Member Advancement

  • Based on Dan Z’s suggestion, we have a self-assessment system for Dinghy Rigging, Dinghy Novice Practical, and Dinghy Junior Practical that feeds into a testers’ bulletin board. This has made the test process much more transparent both in terms of the test requirements and how to get a test
  • Since last GMM (November), 32 members have earned Novice and one has earned Junior. In the same period the prior year, only 10 members earned Novice and 4 earned Junior. So despite the restrictions, we are helping members advance at a good rate. Junior rating is hard this time of year because of light winds

 

My Focus

  • Lessons for newer members in a fair, predictable way as long as we have to live under the distancing restrictions
  • As the restrictions relax, develop procedures to increase our teaching capacity in a safe manner
  • Junior Fast Tracks
  • Advanced Dinghy Sessions
  • Keelboat Instruction
  • Realistically, it will be hard to make Senior this year. But a number of people have been working on it for some time, and we’ll work with them. We’ll also help the members who started last year on this path to pick up and get going again. 

 

Thanks 

To everyone who’s been helping getting us through this, keeping our teaching programs going. By instructing, coordinating, doing Zoom sessions, producing videos, writing blogs, all of that. We have a lot of new members learning sailing, and they appreciate this.

Rear Commodore (Erick - Windsurfing):

Not too much done since last meeting wrt teaching. As the seasons starts our hope is to maintain our novice lessons while increasing lessons and workshops aimed at intermediate/advanced. Ultimately we would  like it to be possible to advance from novice to j+ in a season. We also hoep to set up more field trips -- watch for announcements.

Peter Baczeck: query -- at what level (color) can we have people on the same boat. California public health does publish guidelines, but they don’t include sailing. Nicho: They are in the process of clarifying what will happen when we go to red tier.  -- will probably happen sooner than dinghies. No guidance yet, still working to get clarity.

Comments/Questions from members:

 

Paul asked about changes to protocols for the vaccinated: Nicho’s answer we follow protocols coming from the city of berkeley.  And those don’t change for the vaccinated.

Followup from someone else: can two people with their shots be on same boats. Nicho’s answer -- depends on our tier. Not seeing any guidance from state yet. So answer not really.

 

Robert put in a link to a questionnaire https://www.cityofberkeley.info/BMASP/ about marina future and suggests people participate in it to make sure our voices are heard.