All Meeting Minutes
2005.01.30 - Excom
Sunday January 30, 2005
Absent: Dan Pang (co-1st Vice Commodore), Jamuel Starkey ( Port Captain), Will Lowe (3rd Vice Commodore),Caryl Woulfe (co-Secretary), Lori Taguma (co-Secretary)
The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m.
Ex-Committee ReportsCommodore (Saul) Progress on contract with Jochim to start construction on the Antrim CSC 15. Estimate contract to be signed in two to three weeks, which will require an expenditure of approx. $12,000 for materials and Approx. $1,000/week thereafter. Saul has agreed to give a talk on aquatic safety at the Berkeley YMCA on Fri, Feb 11
Vice Commodore (Jamuel) Absent. No report.
1st Vice Commodore (Michael) One Lido is currently out of commission. Everything else is fine.
2nd Vice Commodore (Asma) Reported on soliciting equipment donations without much progress. She has found new 2005 Simmer Sails at 25% of retail. Will pursue further contact with Geyser. She would also like to purchase addition junior boards and some novice 5.5 meter sails. She reported on a debate on whether Retro Ripper sails are appropriate for the club.
3rd Vice Commodore (Will) Absent. No report.
Rear Commodore (Sheldon) Lesson declined in Dec. No surprise. Peter held an informal motor repair clinic on the outboard that came with the donated Bahama 25. A more formal motor clinic is scheduled for 2/20 @ 1:00 pm. Senior study group will be starting soon.
Port Captain (Meredith) Recently have hired 4 day leads but 2 have already quit. Have since hired 2 more.
Secretary (Caryl and Lori) Absent. No report.
Treasurer (Peter) Peter reminded of the need for W2 forms for new day leader hires. There was a discussion on the valuation of the Bahama 25. Consensus was to advertise @ $1500. There was discussion of possible insurance requirements for swimming certifications both for club members and day leaders. The written requirement from the insurance company is ambiguous. It appears that a written requirement of swimming skill from all members would put the club in compliance. it was suggested that day leaders be CPR/First Aid certified. Several people volunteered to research this issue.
New Agenda items:
1. Will had requested in absentia an allocation of $3,000 for bottom jobs and keel boat repairs. Peter moved to increase the allocation to $6000. Saul seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
2. Ratified the agenda for the general membership meeting Tues, 2/22. Agenda Free dinner and dessert. Officer reports, Paid Community Relation Coordinator, Updates on the clubhouse lease, Changes to club insurance, Mystery Announcement,
3. As per request, Peter moved that CSC allow Dean B. Atkinson to ask Rebecca Haussmann to marry him. Saul seconded. Unanimous approval and Huzzahs.
4. Asma moved to request $500 for windsurf sails purchase. Peter seconded. Unanimous approval.
5. Discussion was held on the issue of paying a community relations coordinator. On one hand, it seems contrary to the all-voluntary nature of the club. On the other, it is an area of interface with the public and other organizations where CSC cannot afford to drop the ball. No conclusion was reached. The general membership will be consulted at the next general meeting. It is hoped that a responsible person may step forward to assume this responsibility.
6. It was suggested that further incentives should be offered to senior and cruising skippers to participate in giving community sail boat rides. (Moved/seconded?) to give free quarterly membership to anyone participating in two youth programs in a year, or free membership for life for five or more in a year.
Reported by Michael Faw, Co-1st Vice Commodore