All Meeting Minutes

2004.08.15 - Excom

EXCOM MEETING
Sunday August 15, 2004
Closed session regarding dayleader
Present: Saul Schumsky (Commodore), Dan Pang (1st Vice Commodore), Will Lowe (3rd Vice Commodore), Sheldon Coad (Rear Commodore), Caryl Woulfe (co-Secretary), and member Jane Morson.

Absent: Jamuel Starkey (Vice Commodore), Peter Kuhn (Treasurer), Isabel Fortier (2nd Vice Commodore), and Jared Goldberg, Port Captain.

The meeting was called to order at 6:40 p.m.

Ex-Committee Reports

Commodore (Saul) Saul attended the Waterfront Commission meeting last Wednesday. They would like to know a little more about who we are, what we've done for the community, how much money we have, etc. There was barely a quorum. Four out of the five in attendance are pro-CSC. They would like to see a copy of our lease agreement. They are concerned we have a license agreement. Cliff, Saul, and Bill Foley will arrange to sit down together to go over the needed information. The donated JY-15 arrived today.

Vice Commodore (Jamuel) Absent. No report.

1st Vice Commodore (Dan) Dan has replaced Robert Towler as 1st Vice Commodore, due to Robert moving to Chicago. We bought a new laser for $2,400, which included a free Seitech dolly. It is a radial rig. Two of our laser hulls will be "laid to rest" soon. They are currently in the back of the yard near the Rhodes and 470. Gunther Weber is the new Laser Chair. Dan will rig the new JY. There is no mainsail for the P2 hull. Dan will take care of this. Currently, two of the Lidos do not have jibs. Dan will check the status of the five new jibs Robert ordered from Pineapple. The Precision spinnakers and poles, and the 470 spinnaker, are stored near the Lido rudders.

2nd Vice Commodore (Isabel) Absent. No report.

3rd Vice Commodore (Will) Still getting rid of the bottom paint on Nenya. Winch maintenance is needed on Donald. The standing rigging on Daisy needs to be replaced. Will to check with Fast Bottoms to see how often the bottoms of our keelboats are being cleaned. Both ensigns are in need of new booms. Louie could use a new mast. Will would appreciate it if folks contact him directly if they see things on the keelboats that need fixing.

Rear Commodore (Sheldon) Mike's Fast Track is going until 9:00 p.m. each evening. He acts as dayleader when the scheduled dayleader leaves. Peter Connolly held the second of his three-part advanced dinghy clinic yesterday. There was a good turnout.

Port Captain (Jared) Report sent by e-mail: I will not be able to attend this coming ExCom meeting. Nothing new to report. I tried to hire two new dayleaders and had two no shows for training. I will get on that when I get back. Fred and Micah will be working a good amount next week but I have one shift uncovered for Saturday the 21st. If anyone can volunteer daylead for three hours (opening or closing), I have the rest of the day covered. If someone is on the big list serve, could they please inform them of the open shift, it would be much appreciated.

Secretary (Caryl) The two new harnesses that were ordered last month have arrived. Thanks to Jane and her contact Thomas Fogh at Gul. A suggestion was made to keep the harnesses in the clubhouse near the universals, and have people sign them out, as they do for the universals. Dan will make sure they are properly adorned with CSC markings.

Both Ensigns participated in the BYC/CSC Friday Beer Can Race and finished within a fraction of a second of one another.

Treasurer (Peter) Report sent by e-mail: We got $90,414 in the main CSC holds, up $3,763 from $86,651 we had as of the last report for our 7/18/04 meeting. In the last 4 weeks, we took in $8,966 including $8,725 in regular memberships $220 BBQ donations In the same 4 weeks, we spent $5,203 including $759 for new door, shelf lumber, paint, plants, & other bldgs&grounds stuff $567 BBQ food--Open House, Moonlight Sail, etc $563 dinghy maintenance stuff--fiberglass supplies, blocks, sail repair, etc. $390 general membership meeting food $273 keelboat maintenance--wood for coamings on Uncle Donald, stripping supplies Nenya $262, Express ads $129, skiff maintenance $313 windsurf maintenance--sail repairs, spray paint $367. undifferentiated maintenance supplies--epoxy resin, brushes, masks, gloves, paint, etc. $443 taxes--property taxes (required by lease), dup. title $417 in skiff engine parts (new ignition module for turtled Patrick, water pump for 15 hp we're selling, spark plugs) $193 for fast track snax, moonlight sail lightstix, $99 tools (broom umbrella hacksaws etc)

Old Business items:

Mixing personal and club windsurfing equipment. As the Windsurfing Chair was not in attendance, this item was tabled for further discussion.

New Agenda items:

1) Acceptance of boat donation. CSC member Josh Polston, Peter Kuhn and Saul went to look at a Catalina 25 berthed in the Berkeley Marina that a friend of Josh's is willing to donate to the club. A stipulation of the donation is that money from the sale of the boat by CSC would go in the windsurfing coffers. The boat is in adequate condition, has a nice motor on it, but needs to be spiffed up before it is put up for sale. John Glass is interested in taking this on as a weekend work project. Saul commented that we would be lucky to get $2,000 for it, and estimated that it would take 2-3 months to sell. Expenses for the club would be registration fees, slip fees, (a little under $160/month), advertising costs and the cost of supplies to spruce it up. Saul made a motion to accept the boat on the contingency that a viable work plan to get the boat ready for sale be presented to Ex-Com by next Sunday. If the work plan is not presented, or does not seem viable, we will not accept the boat. Will seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.

2) Closed session.

Sheldon mentioned that the club's stepladder is a hazard. A new one will be purchased.

A motion was made and seconded to adjourn the meeting. The motion passed unanimously. Meeting adjourned at 9:10 p.m.

Note: Agenda item suggested for the next meeting - Discussion of Logbook’s proper usage