Updates from our Sailing & Windsurfing Programs
- Please subscribe to our Announcement List for the latest news.
- Please make sure to read the reopening information below before coming to the club.
- New members and prospective Dinghy Novices: Dinghy Ground School is offered for a limited number of students every Saturday from 1 to 3pm. Reservations required. On the water lessons are offered for a limited number of students every Saturday from 9:30am to 12:30. You must pass the Rigging Test to attend on the water lessons. Sessions will be announced on the Club announce list.
- We are now offering beginner dinghy on-the-water lessons. Look here to see the lesson flow for new members. We will also offer 1 on 1 instruction for more advanced students using a combination of land talks demonstrations, and teaching from another sailboat. Refer to the announcement each week for details.
- Looking to get the Novice or Junior rating? Check the guide on getting these ratings. Senior testers who can help, look here. Info for the Junior rating is now at the same link.
- Novice Fast Track is being offered for members with dinghy sailing experience on some Saturdays. This will be a combined rigging test, on-the-water practices session, and practical test. Sessions will be announced on the Club announce list.
- Checklist for taking a dinghy on the water here.
- No more scheduled windsurfing lessons this season. We'll start up again around April, when the wind picks up.
- New Tutorial on Windsurf Board Repair here.
Kayak and SUPs:
- A limited number of sit-on-top kayaks and stand-up paddleboards (SUPs) are now available for member use. You must have a reservation, as described in the details. No rating is required, but Day Leader approval is. This is a lower-wind activity, so the Day Leader may restrict use to the Novice Area or not allow it at all. Read the instructions about Kayaks and SUPs.
- Day Leader/VDL Instructions are available.
With the approval of the Berkeley Health Dept, CSC is reopening. Access to equipment will be limited on a reservation basis, and members will need to comply with Health Dept directives on social distancing, masks, etc. Here's what you need to know:
- Only members with a confirmed reservation for a dinghy, windsurf, kayak, or SUP are allowed to be at Cal Sailing Club at all times.
- You must wear a mask at all times while at CSC when not on the water.
- Please wash and sanitize your hands frequently and maintain social distancing (6ft) whenever possible.
- Member information for use of the club:
- You need to pass an online test on procedures during the reopen period in order to reserve equipment. You can first read the test and then take the test (you need to be logged in to see these).
- Please, reserve equipment before coming to the club
- Details about the reservation system for Dinghies and Windsurf boards.
- Details on how to reserve kayaks and SUPs.
- Reserve a Dinghy or a Windsurf board.
- NOTE: Do not come to the Club if you do not have a reservation.
We are working hard to open the Club more as regulations allow us to do that. We will update the membership here and on the announcement list. Thanks for your support and your patience.
November 15 @ 6PM join the General Membership Meeting on Zoom
- check your email inbox for the Zoom info
- Read the Treasurer's Report
- there will be bingo and prizes, but you'll have to get your own dinner and drinks
- this is a voting meeting!
New Windsurfing Videos
Will Spargur, former Rear Commodore for Windsurf Instruction, has produced a set of videos on learning windsurfing.
New manual on keelboat outboard motors
New manual on keelboat outboard motors here.
New Instructional Video on Rigging a Quest
Jack Chen produced a video that covers inspecting, rigging and reefing a Quest, including putting the boat in the water with the hoist. You can also find it in our library of instructional videos at Lessons > Sailing > Videos.
Photos of Berkeley Reef at Ultra Low Tide Show Why to Keep a Safe Distance
Sheldon Coad took these photos with the help of Bobby Arthurs, and the club skiff. They circled the Reef and took photos in several directions. Pretty impressive when you see it, and pretty dangerous when you can't.
Windsurfing Rating Requirements Updated and How to Get to Senior
Detailed description of the windsurfing rating requirements is available. We have also started something to help you get your Senior rating.
Want to get a rating/sign-off but don't know who can do it?
Access details on who can sign off on which ratings/tests/check-outs (e.g., the Day Leader can sign off on Novice Windsurfer written and self-rescue). If you are logged-in to the website, you will be able to see a list of members who have the qualification needed (e.g., a list of those signed-off on the Laser who can then sign-off others). This link is also visible when you look at your White Card on the website.