Updates from our 2024 programs
General Membership Meeting (GMM)
The next (non-voting) GMM will be at the Club on Sunday, February 25th, at 1pm. Rain or shine. Officer reports and a good time. You can read the quarterly financial report here.
Ever wonder about those dazzling sails buzzing around on the Bay? The Cal Sailing Club monthly Open House/Introductory Sail gives you a chance to find out!
Dates for 2024 Open House
- Saturday April 27 coincides with Berkeley Bay Festival
- Sunday May 19
- Sunday June 23
- Sunday July 21
- Sunday August 25
- Sunday September 22
- Sunday October 20
More details on Open House are here.
You've seen members wearing Cal Sailing garb and wanted to get some for yourself. Lots of Club merch is now available here
- How do I start sailing at the Cal Sailing Club?
- Looking to get the Novice or Junior rating? Check the guide on getting these ratings.
- How to get a Dinghy Test read this.
- Checklist for taking a dinghy on the water.
- Dinghy Junior Fast Tracks: Dates have not been set yet for 2024. Click here for more info about Fast Track.
- New video on rigging and sailing a JY-15 Check it out on the Sailing Videos page.
- Dinghy Racing
Sail fast, have fun!
Race dinghies this summer nearly every Sunday and Thursday. No prior racing experience needed. See here for details. Contact the Racing Chair with any questions.
- How do I start windsurfing at the Cal Sailing Club? Novice lessons start on April 8 and will be held every Saturday and Sunday (subject to tides).
- How do I report damage or make other requests? Use this link to contact our Windsurfing team (you must be logged in to use this link).
- Will Spargur, former Rear Commodore for Windsurf Instruction, has produced a set of videos on learning windsurfing.
- New Tutorial on Windsurf Board Repair.
- Detailed description of the windsurfing rating requirements is available. We have also started something to help you get your Senior rating.
- Keelboat lessons are offered year round, often on Wednesday evenings, but also at other times. They are announced on Slack and the Announcements list. You must be a Junior Skipper to take keelboat lessons. Basic keelboat instruction outline is here, and this progression will prepare you for the advanced training necessary for the keelboat senior rating.
- Berkeley Reef. Sheldon Coad took these photos with the help of Bobby Arthurs, and the club skiff. They circled the Reef and took photos in several directions. Pretty impressive when you see it, and pretty dangerous when you can't.
- Consult the new manual on keelboat outboard motors.
Kayak and SUPs
A limited number of sit-on-top kayaks and stand-up paddleboards (SUPs) are now available for member use. No rating is required, but Day Leader approval is. This is a lower-wind activity, so the Day Leader may restrict use to the Novice Area or not allow it at all.
Access details on who can sign off on which ratings/tests/check-outs.