Updates from our Sailing & Windsurfing Programs
Middle Dock Hoist Inoperable - Limited Dinghy Sailing
The hoist at the middle dock is currently inoperable. Since the West dock is under repair, we do not have an operable dock for dinghies that need the hoist. We are working with the City to get the hoist repaired as soon as possible. It won't be any earlier than Monday the 13th.
Here is how the Club will operate until the hoist is fixed:
- · Club open and close times will not change.
- · Windsurfing will operate as normal. You will need a reservation to use a board, as usual.
- · There will be no dinghy sailing except for Lasers (you must be a Junior and signed off on the Laser to sail it). You will need a reservation to sail a Laser, as usual.
- · The reservation system has been adjusted so that only Lasers will get reservations.
- · Dinghy Ground School will operate as normal.
We will keep you informed about progress on this on the Announcement List and on the home page.
Latest Updates (as of July 8)
- Starting Monday, July 13, the Club will be open longer days:
- Saturday/Sunday 9am to 7:30pm
- Monday/Wednesday/Friday Noon to 7:30pm
- Kids windsurfing lessons are starting Saturday, July 18, for a limited number of students. Contact Sofi for details.
- Starting Monday, July 13, we are increasing the number of windsurf boards per day to 15.
- Dinghy Ground School is offered for a limited number of students every Saturday from 10am to noon. Reservations required. Details here. (You must be logged-in to use this link).
- New video on reefing a dinghy main sail here. By Saul Schumsky and Jack Chen, it couldn't be more timely. See how to do it correctly to get better boat control and not damage the sail.
- Socially-distant-on-the-water NOVICE WINDSURF LESSONS resume! Reservations required. To gain access to the reservation form you must be a member & complete re-opening test. Offered Saturdays and Sundays. Sign up here.
- Dayleaders can require a wetsuit pending wind conditions to protect you from hypothermia
- Seniors now can reserve a dinghy/windsurf on Tuesday(s) and Thursday(s)! A reservation is required to do this. Please take the time to look at this protocol: senior access of CSC closed days (the club is officially closed these days). There will be no dayleader and everyone must comply to the current COVID-19 protocols. There will be no harnesses or PFD (soft gear) available on Thursday(s).
- If you are unable to make your confirmed reservation, PLEASE cancel on the day of by noon so others may get the opportunity to enjoy the water.
- To maximize social distancing/minimize touching you can now sign out your boat or windsurf online on your smartphone (this is instead of the typical sign out sheet in the clubhouse or with the dayleader). If you do not have a smartphone, there is a tablet in the dinghy yard to sign out your equipment. Please spray down with alcohol after using the tablet.
- Day Leader/VDL Instructions are here.
Club Operating Hours
Because of limited Day Leader availability, the Club is scheduled to be closed on Tuesdays and Thursdays. In addition, Club hours are now 2pm to 7:30pm on weekdays (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday) and noon to 7:30pm weekends. Low tides may affect this. You can check operating hours for a given date here.
With the approval of the Berkeley Health Dept, CSC is reopening on a limited basis. Access to equipment will be limited on a reservation basis, and members will need to comply with Health Dept directives on social distancing, masks, etc. Here's what you need to know:
Only members with a confirmed reservation for a dinghy or windsurf are allowed to be at Cal Sailing Club at all times.
You must wear a mask at all times while at CSC when not on the water.
Please wash and sanitize your hands frequently and maintain social distancing (6ft) whenever possible.
- Member information for use of the club. Dinghy and Windsurf information is here. Keelboat information is here. NOTE: Club common areas are closed. Please do not hang out at the Club.
- You need to pass an online test on procedures during the reopen period in order to reserve equipment. You can read the test here and take it here (you need to be logged in to see these)
- Reservation system for Dinghies and Windsurf boards described here. Do not come to the Club if you do not have a reservation. You can access the reservation system by clicking here.
- There limited Windsurfing lessons and Dinghy Ground School lessons. Look at the latest updates above to see the information on these.
- NOTE: Due to limited Day Leader availability, the Club will be operating on a limited schedule. We will not be open some days, and we will have reduced hours on others. Check here for current Club schedule.
We are working hard to open the Club more as regulations allow us to do that. We will update membership here and on the announcement list. Thanks for your support and your patience. We all want to get on the water as soon as possible. In the interim, we will be offering video sessions (announced on the Club Announcement List described here), so check it out.
Because of the Club close time, we have adjusted membership subscriptions as follows:
- Subscriptions for all currently active members have been extended by 100 days (86 days of shutdown plus a bonus of 2 weeks to compensate for the limited opening)
- Subscriptions which expired during the time the Club was closed have been reactivated with the expiry date extended by 100 days
- This does not apply to Windsurf Locker subscriptions, which will be handled as usual, as members have had access to their lockers when the Club was closed
Ourr membership software doesn't handle what was described above, so we've had to do it ourselves. Please check your subscription by logging into the website and going to Memberships->My White Card to see your subscription status and expiry date. Report any problems to firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Windsurfing Videos
Will Spargur, former Rear Commodore for Windsurf Instruction, has produced a set of videos on learning windsurfing that you can see here.
New Instructional Video on Rigging a Quest
Jack Chen produced this, and it covers inspecting, rigging and reefing a Quest, including putting the boat in the water with the hoist. You can also find it in our library of instructional videos at Lessons->Sailing->Videos.
Photos of Berkeley Reef at Ultra Low Tide Show Why to Keep a Safe Distance
Sheldon Coad took these photos with the help of Bobby Arthurs, and the club skiff. They circled the Reef and took photos in several directions. Pretty impressive when you see it, and pretty dangerous when you can't.
Windsurfing Rating Requirements Updated and How to Get to Senior
Want to get a rating/sign-off but don't know who can do it?
Click here to see who can sign off on which ratings/tests/check-outs (e.g., the Day Leader can sign off on Novice Windsurfer written and self-rescue). If you are logged-in to the website, you will be able to see a list of members who have the qualification needed (e.g., a list of those signed-off on the Laser who can then sign-off others). This link is also visible when you look at your White Card on the website.