Updates from our Sailing & Windsurfing Programs
- See our Announcement List for the latest. Make sure to subscribe! April 6 update and March 31 update
- Please make sure to read the reopening information below before coming to the club. It is no longer necessary to pass a Reopen Procedures test in order to reserve equpment, but restrictions are still in effect, so make sure you are familiar with them.
- Saturday Dinghy Lessons Capacity Increased Details and how to sign up here.
- First Junior Fast Track the week of May 3 Details here.
- Advanced Dinghy starting May 10 Description here. Watch the Announcements list for details.
- Low Tides will affect Saturday lessons from now through the end of July. Because of this, lessons may be cancelled or moved to the afternoon on particular Saturdays. See the list of Saturdays affected. The weekly lessons announcements will also reflect this.
- See the lesson flow for new members
- Looking to get the Novice or Junior rating? Check the guide on getting these ratings. Senior testers who can help, please see this anouncement on how to enroll.
- If you have dinghy sailing experience, you can get a combined rigging/novice practical test. Check the guide on getting these ratings. Fill out the self-assessment for the Dinghy Rigging and Novice Practical tests. When your tester contacts you, tell them that you want to do a combined test.
- Checklist for taking a dinghy on the water.
- New videos on Capsize Recovery and Anchoring.
- Jack Chen produced a video that covers inspecting, rigging and reefing a Quest, including putting the boat in the water with the hoist. You can also find it in our library of instructional videos at Lessons > Sailing > Videos.
- How do I start windsurfing at the Cal Sailing Club? Novice lessons start on April 9 and will be held every Saturday and Sunday (subject to tides).
- Will Spargur, former Rear Commodore for Windsurf Instruction, has produced a set of videos on learning windsurfing.
- New Tutorial on Windsurf Board Repair.
- Detailed description of the windsurfing rating requirements is available. We have also started something to help you get your Senior rating.
Sheldon Coad took these photos with the help of Bobby Arthurs, and the club skiff. They circled the Reef and took photos in several directions. Pretty impressive when you see it, and pretty dangerous when you can't.
Consult the new manual on keelboat outboard motors.
Kayak and SUPs:
- A limited number of sit-on-top kayaks and stand-up paddleboards (SUPs) are now available for member use. You must have a reservation, as described in the details. No rating is required, but Day Leader approval is. This is a lower-wind activity, so the Day Leader may restrict use to the Novice Area or not allow it at all. Read the instructions about Kayaks and SUPs.
- Day Leader/VDL Instructions are available.
With the approval of the Berkeley Health Dept, CSC is reopening. Access to equipment will be limited on a reservation basis, and members will need to comply with Health Dept directives on social distancing, masks, etc. Here's what you need to know:
- Only members with a confirmed reservation for a dinghy, windsurf, kayak, or SUP are allowed to be at Cal Sailing Club at all times.
- You must wear a mask at all times while at CSC when not on the water.
- Please wash and sanitize your hands frequently and maintain social distancing (6ft) whenever possible.
- Member information for use of the club:
- Please, reserve equipment before coming to the club
- Details about the reservation system for Dinghies and Windsurf boards.
- Details on how to reserve kayaks and SUPs.
- Reserve a Dinghy or a Windsurf board.
- NOTE: Do not come to the Club if you do not have a reservation.
We are working hard to open the Club more as regulations allow us to do that. We will update the membership here and on the announcement list. Thanks for your support and your patience.
Want to get a rating/sign-off but don't know who can do it?
Access details on who can sign off on which ratings/tests/check-outs (e.g., the Day Leader can sign off on Novice Windsurfer written and self-rescue). If you are logged-in to the website, you will be able to see a list of members who have the qualification needed (e.g., a list of those signed-off on the Laser who can then sign-off others). This link is also visible when you look at your White Card on the website.